Translation: Sons of the bourgeoisie used to study here.
Workers and Farmers, now you attend.
Poster Number: PP 057
Category: Communist Culture
Artist: S.Ia. — С.Я.
Poster Notes: The Red Army developed a network of military schools, military academies and command courses during the Russian Civil War. In February 1918, accelerated artillery courses were organized in Petrograd [St. Petersburg] as well as in Moscow and other cities. The majestic building on the poster may allude to the actual one used by the command course for the 1st Soviet Artillery of Petrograd in 1918. “Officer’s Command Course” is the sign above the building's columns. At the center of this poster is a hammer and plow symbol for the Red Army. This was a symbol approved on April 19, 1918 and it was replaced by the hammer and sickle in August 1918.
Media Size: 47x31.5
Poster Type: Lithograph
Printer: Redizdat (Editorial and Publishing Department)
Printer Notes: Redizdat was created in 1921 by the 3rd Congress of the Comintern (Communist International) and opened printing and publishing outlets in various Soviet-controlled zones during the Russian Civil War. For example, between April and June 1919, Ukrainian Redizdat (working in concert with Narkomvoen, Ukraine) printed over six million propaganda leaflets and over one million copies of the book Red Army. In subsequent years (1936 to 1937), Redizdat was transformed into Gidrometeoizdat (State Scientific and Technical Hydro-meteorological Publishing House).
Publisher: Military-Training Operations of Ukraine, Kiev
Publishing Date: c.1919
Sources: Soviet Posters of the era of the Civil War 1918-1921 by B. S. Butnik-Siverskii (1960), page 308, poster 1650
Catalog Notes: PP 057 Communist Culture