Poster Number: PP 696
Artists: Voronov, Leonid Alexandrovich — Воронов, Леонид Александрович; Evstaf'ev, Mikhail Il'ich — Евстафьев, Михаил Ильич;
Media Size: 46.5x18
Poster Type: Lithograph
Printer: Mospoligraf (Moscow Polygraphic) 15th Lithography Workshop, Moscow (formerly Mashistov)
Printer Notes: Mospoligraf 15th Lithography Workshop in Moscow was located at 23 Bol'shaia Sadovaia Street. Its history begins with Ivan Mikhailovich Mashistov (1851-1914), founder and managing director of Mashistov Typolithography. His company printed magazines, historical books, and during the First World War, it printed and published patriotic posters. Under the Soviets, the Mashistov Lithography Workshop became the 15th Lithographic Workshop and was also known as the MGSNKh (Moscow City Council of National Economy) Typo-lithography Workshop.
In 1921, the Soviet Union formulated a plan to consolidate the nation’s largest and best printing operations into state-owned trusts and in 1922, the Mospoligraf Trust was organized to consolidate the Moscow printing industry. Mospoligraf was the second-largest Moscow printing trust outside of Mospechat’. Both trusts secured a myriad of local printing houses. As a result, the 15th Lithography Workshop was managed by Mospoligraf.
Publisher: Financial Publishing House
Publishing Date: c.1927
Publisher Notes: The People's Commissariat of Finance (Narkomfin, a.k.a. NKF) in its all-Union level was created in 1923. Narkomfin’s structure was based on the People's Commissariat of Finance of the RSFSR (Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic) that existed as early as 1917.
When the Bolsheviks seized power immediate action was taken against the Russian banking system. In November 1917, the Russian State Bank was dissolved and in its place was a new “People's Bank”. The Imperial Credit Chancellery and Department of the State Treasury became part of that bank. In December 1917, the Nobles’ Land Bank and the Peasants’ Land Bank were closed. By January 1918, State loans and foreign loans were terminated, private insurance abolished—its firms placed under State control. By December 1918, joint-stock land banks, mutual credit agencies and public (metropolitan) banks were closed along with the eradication of municipal and regional credit societies. Foreign banks were also shuttered and the Russian central cooperative (Moscow People’s Bank) was nationalized. The process of financial nationalization was complete by 1919.
Technical Information on Poster: 3.299/171
Print Run: 103,000
Glavlit Directory Number: A-14017.
Sources: Baykov, A. (1947). The Development of the Soviet Economic System: An Essay on the Experience of Planning in the U.S.S.R. New York.
Catalog Notes: PP 696 Economy; Sister poster PP 721