Translation: If the Red Flag appears, if people reach enlightenment, this is thanks to the Red Army soldier – the first support of the Soviet. [On the top] Club Section for On-Site Education of the Public Commissariat on Literacy.Read Full Translation...If the Red Flag appears, if people reach enlightenment,
this is thanks to the Red Army soldier – the first support of the Soviet.
[On the top] Club Section for On-Site Education of the Public Commissariat on Literacy.
[On the flag] Workers of all countries, unite! RSFSR
[On the building] Palace of LiteracyClose Full Translation
Poster Number: PP 717
Artist: Artist Unknown — неизвестный художник
Poster Notes: Text by Vladimir Vladimirovich Mayakovskii (1893-1930) a Soviet poet, playwright, artist, and actor.
Poster Type: Lithograph
Printer: Niva-Marks" P.G. Lithograph
Printer Notes: A.F. Marks'' Partnership Artistic Office was located St. Petersburg at 29 Izmailovskii Avenue. It put out the popular journal "Niva". Founded in 1881, by its owner, Adolf Fedorovich Marks (1838-1904), a successful printer and publisher, it was in 1922 that the A.F. Marks'' Partnership was placed under Petropechat', a state-owned trust to aid in the centralization of the printing industry. Thereafter, the A.F. Marks'' Partnership became the 26th State Typography Workshop named for Evgenii Sokolov, a St. Petersburg-based printer and Russian Revolution participant who died while on a military assignment for the Red Army.
Publisher: Narkompros (People's Commissariat for Education) Club Section of Extracurricular Education
Publishing date: 1919
Publisher Notes: Narkompros was the agency in the USSR that ran public schooling, culture and the arts. Narkompros had numerous sections within its bureaucratic composition such as Likbez, the campaign to liquidate illiteracy and Glavlit, the office for censorship in the media and public speaking. In 1946, Narkompros was transformed into the Ministry of Education.
Sources: Soviet Posters of the era of the Civil War 1918-1921 by B. S. Butnik-Siverskii (1960), page 256, poster 1120
Catalog Notes: PP 717 Military