Located in the town of Kharkov in the Ukrainian SSR, the Chromolit Lithography Workshop was named in honor of Feliks Edmundovich Dzerzhinskii (1877-1926). Dzerzhinskii was head of the All-Russian Extraordinary Commission (VChK) that was also known as the Cheka, a "secret" police unit that handed internal and political affairs.
The Art Fund of the USSR was an organization developed with financial support of the state and with the Artists’ Union of the USSR. The Artists’ Union of the USSR administered the Art Fund of the USSR in addition to managing the Board of Exhibitions, the Central Educational and Experimental Workshop, the Propaganda Poster Agency, and the Sovetskii Khudozhnik Publishing House. Via decree, wages paid to union artists and designers included payments to the Art Fund of the USSR. The amount and means of fees to the Art Fund were established at the Council of People's Commissars of the USSR in February 1940.