The State Lithography Workshop named for M. Tomskii was located at Kronverkskaia and Mir Streets in Leningrad (Petrograd). The workshop was named in honor of Mikhail Pavlovich Tomskii (1880-1936), head of the Soviet trade union and the head of the State Publishing House. Historically, the large printing operation was founded in 1881 by Theodore Kibbel (Fedor Fyodorovich Kibbel). Shortly after the printer was nationalized by the Soviets, it became the 1st State Lithography Workshop, and in 1924 it was named in honor of Tomskii. Thereafter, it underwent a variety of name changes while being controlled by state-run printing trusts.
The sberkassa (savings account) system was operated as a state savings office of the USSR State Bank (Gosbank). The system began operations in February 1923 in Petrograd (St. Petersburg). Receivables were treated as government debt whereby the state borrowed from the population through individual accounts. The system relied on a central bank in each union republic feeding off personal accounts at state-run "savings offices" (sberkassy) in each respective republic of the USSR. Sberkassa was the only personal banking available to the population until 1988 to 1991 when the Sberbank (Savings Bank) system replaced it along with several other state banks.