The Red Army is the Faithful Guard of the Country of Soviets. [In upper right corner] Osoaviakhim - Support of Peaceful Labor and Defense of the USSR.

Poster Number: PP 324
Category: Military
Poster Notes: Osoaviakhim was the Societies of Assistance to Defense and Aviation-chemical Construction. The artillery piece on this poster resembles the Russian 122-mm Howitzer M1910/30.
Media Size: 28.5x21
Poster Type: Lithograph
Publishing Date: 1930
Technical Information on Poster: Izogiz No. 136; R. 36; Price 25 kopeks
Catalog Notes: PP 324 Military
Artist: Ganf (Iang), Iosif Abramovich — Ганф (Янг), Иосиф Абрамович

Iosif Abramovich Ganf was a graphic artist, poster designer and a commercial illustrator. He typically used the pseudonym “Iang” (Yang) from the Russian transliteration of the English word “young”. Iosif Ganf was the brother of the Soviet cartoonist Iulii Abramovich Ganf. Beginning in 1924, Iosif worked at the Moscow-based newspaper Pravda. He also held illustrator posts at the newspapers Izvestia and Rabochaia Gazeta. From 1927 to 1933, he illustrated political cartoons for the satirical magazines Krokodil and Smekhach. During the early 1930s, Ganf became a member of the Society of Revolutionary Poster Workers (ORRP). He began participating in exhibitions in 1932 including: the First All-Union Poster Exhibition ("A Poster in the Service of the Five-Year Plan") at the State Tretiakov Gallery, and "Along the Leninist Path: Ten Years Without Lenin" (1933-1934).

Read More...
Printer: Mospoligraf (Moscow Polygraphic) 15th Lithography Workshop, Moscow (formerly Mashistov) — 15-я Литография «Мосполиграф», Москва (бывш. Машистова)

The Mospoligraf 15th Lithography Workshop was located at 23 Bol'shaia Sadovaia Street in Moscow. Its history begins with Ivan Mikhailovich Mashistov (1851-1914) the founder and managing director of Mashistov Typolithography. His firm printed magazines, historical books, and during the First World War, it printed and published patriotic posters. Under the Soviets, Mashistov Lithography became the 15th Lithographic Workshop and, it was also known as the MGSNKh (Moscow City Council of National Economy) Typo-lithography Workshop. In 1922 the Soviet Union consolidated the nation’s largest and best printing operations into state-owned trusts. The Mospoligraf Trust consolidated the Moscow printing industry and it was the second-largest Moscow printing trust outside of Mospechat’. Both trusts secured a myriad of local printing houses. The 15th Lithography Workshop was managed by Mospoligraf.

Read More...
Publisher: IzoGiz (State Publishing House of Fine Art), Moscow-Leningrad — Изогиз (Государственное издательство изобразительного искусства), Москва-Ленинград

The history of IzoGiz begins with the formation of Ogiz, the Association of the State Book and Magazine Publishers. In 1930, the Sovnarkom of the Russian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic established Ogiz to centralize publishing under a monopoly in order to eliminate duplication of printed material, to streamline and control publishing production and its output, and to create a base for marketing books, training and technical manuals. In 1931, the Central Committee of the USSR ordered certain publications be separated from Ogiz. The separation principally affected technical manuals and propaganda material issued by the publisher. For example, posters, art magazines and artistic books were placed under Izogiz (Izobrazitel'noe iskusstvo), the fine arts section of Ogiz. In 1963, Izogiz was merged with the publishing house, "Soviet Artist" (Sovetskii khudozhnik).

Read More...