We are studying in an excellent way, we are playing happily! [Quote at right] “Long live the Stalinist Constitution which is securing carefree happiness for our childhood and a beautiful future for the builders of communism!”

Poster Number: PP 390
Category: Youth
Poster Notes: The Children's Commission (Detkommissia) carried out the development and inspection of children's homes and all issues concerning children in the USSR.
Media Size: 40.5x27.5
Poster Type: Lithograph and Offset
Publishing Date: 1937
Editorial Information: Editor M. Ioffe. Technical Editor M. Rosen[berg]
Technical Information on Poster: Izogiz No. 8695. I. 32. Order No. 1257. Submitted for production January 3, 1937. Approved for printing March 10, 1937. Standard format 73 x … [illegible]. Ordered by the Children’s Commission at VTsIK, [All-Russian Central Executive Committee of the Co
Catalog Notes: PP 390 Youth
Artist: Zotov, Konstantin Vasilevich — Зотов, Константин Васильевич

Konstantin Vasilevich Zotov trained at the First Exemplary Printing House in Moscow from 1919-1925 under the tutelage of S.V. Gerasimov and I.N. Pavlov. Starting in 1942, he began to exhibit his work professionally. One of his posters from 1934, Liuboi krestianin-kolkhoznik ili edinolichnik imeet teper’ vozmozhnost’ zhit’ po-chelovecheski [Every collective farm peasant or individual farmer now has the opportunity to live like a human being], established the image of the Stalinist-era collective farm family and it helped emphasize the model of a farm woman in the Soviet Union. This poster also presents a trusting picture of the collective farm workers’ acculturation and improved material circumstances, seemingly brought about through Soviet policies. Zotov contributed illustrations to the newspaper Molodoi Leninets [Young Leninist] (1925) and to the youth-based journals Ogon’ki [Twinkles], Zor’ka (1927-1934) and Veseliye kartinky [Funny Pictures] (1961-1964). He also worked at the Moscow animation studio Soyuzmu'ltfil'm from 1944 to 1951.

Read More...
Printer: Krasnii Proletarii (Red Proletarian), Moscow — Красный Пролетарий, Москва

The Krasnii Proletarii Workshop originated under the ownership of Ivan Kushnerev, a Russian entrepreneur who founded the Kushnerev & Company Printing Shop in 1869 in Moscow. When Kushnerev died in 1896, his printing operation was one of the largest in Imperial Russia. In 1919, the printer was nationalized by the Soviets and consigned to the Printing Section of the Moscow Economic Council (MSNKh). Around 1920, it was placed under the Poligrafkiniga (Book and Magazine Printing) Trust and was given the name 3rd State Typolithography Workshop. By 1921, it became the 20th State Typolithography Workshop, and later it was named the 3rd Krasnii Proletarii Book Printing Plant when its location (on Pimenovskaia Street) was changed to Krasnoproletarskaia (Red Proletarian) Street. In 1924, the 3rd Krasnii Proletarii was placed under the State Publishing House, Gosizdat. In the 1930s and into the 1950s; the printer served Partizdat / Gospolitizdat (State Publishing House of Political Literature), a foremost publisher of political literature and propaganda materials. The printer retained the Krasnii Proletarii moniker over the following decades even though its management varied under a series of state-owned trusts.

Read More...
Publisher: Ogiz-IzoGiz, Moscow-Leningrad — Огиз-Изогиз, Москва-Ленинград

Ogiz was the Association of the State Book and Magazine Publishers. Its main offices were located in Moscow and in Leningrad. The Sovnarkom of the Russian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic established Ogiz in 1930 to centralize publishing activities under a state monopoly in order to eliminate duplication of printed material, streamline and control publishing production and output, and to create a base for marketing books, training and technical manuals. In 1931, the Central Committee of the USSR ordered certain publications be separated from Ogiz. This principally affected technical manuals and propaganda material issued by the publisher. For example, posters, art magazines and artistic books were placed under Izogiz (Izobrazitel'noe iskusstvo), the fine arts section of Ogiz. In 1949, Ogiz was reorganized and merged into Glavpoligrafizdat, the Main Administration for Matters of the Polygraphic Industry, Publishing and Book Selling. In 1953, Glavpoligrafizdat was reorganized and renamed, Glavizdat. Thereafter, the publishing, printing and bookselling monopoly in the USSR was separated into three distinct divisions. In 1963, Izogiz was merged with the publishing house, "Soviet Artist" (Sovetskii khudozhnik).

Read More...