Konstantin Vasilevich Zotov trained at the First Exemplary Printing House in Moscow from 1919-1925 under the tutelage of S.V. Gerasimov and I.N. Pavlov. Starting in 1942, he began to exhibit his work professionally. One of his posters from 1934, Liuboi krestianin-kolkhoznik ili edinolichnik imeet teper’ vozmozhnost’ zhit’ po-chelovecheski [Every collective farm peasant or individual farmer now has the opportunity to live like a human being], established the image of the Stalinist-era collective farm family and it helped emphasize the model of a farm woman in the Soviet Union. This poster also presents a trusting picture of the collective farm workers’ acculturation and improved material circumstances, seemingly brought about through Soviet policies. Zotov contributed illustrations to the newspaper Molodoi Leninets [Young Leninist] (1925) and to the youth-based journals Ogon’ki [Twinkles], Zor’ka (1927-1934) and Veseliye kartinky [Funny Pictures] (1961-1964). He also worked at the Moscow animation studio Soyuzmu'ltfil'm from 1944 to 1951.
The 24th Lithography Workshop was located at Kronverkskaia and Mir Streets in St. Petersburg (Petrograd). Historically, the workshop had its roots in Imperial Russia and it was a large printing operation founded in 1881 by Theodore Kibbel (Fedor Fyodorovich Kibbel). Shortly after the printer was nationalized by the Soviets, it became the 1st State Lithography Workshop. In 1924, the workshop was named in honor of Mikhail Pavlovich Tomskii (1880-1936), head of the Soviet trade union and the head of the State Publishing House. During the early 1930s, the printer was reorganized as the 24th Lithography Workshop of Ogiz (Association of State Book and Magazine Publishers) and was placed under the management of the Poligrafkniga (Book and Magazine Printing) state printing trust.
Ogiz was the Association of the State Book and Magazine Publishers. Its main offices were located in Moscow and in Leningrad. The Sovnarkom of the Russian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic established Ogiz in 1930 to centralize publishing activities under a state monopoly in order to eliminate duplication of printed material, streamline and control publishing production and output, and to create a base for marketing books, training and technical manuals. In 1931, the Central Committee of the USSR ordered certain publications be separated from Ogiz. This principally affected technical manuals and propaganda material issued by the publisher. For example, posters, art magazines and artistic books were placed under Izogiz (Izobrazitel'noe iskusstvo), the fine arts section of Ogiz. In 1949, Ogiz was reorganized and merged into Glavpoligrafizdat, the Main Administration for Matters of the Polygraphic Industry, Publishing and Book Selling. In 1953, Glavpoligrafizdat was reorganized and renamed, Glavizdat. Thereafter, the publishing, printing and bookselling monopoly in the USSR was separated into three distinct divisions. In 1963, Izogiz was merged with the publishing house, "Soviet Artist" (Sovetskii khudozhnik).