Vladimir Aleksandrovich Serov was a painter, poster artist and illustrator who primarily worked in the Socialist Realism aesthetic. In 1931, he graduated from InPII (Institute of Proletarian Visual Arts) and performed post-graduate work at InZhSA (Institute of Art, Sculpture and Architecture) where he served as an instructor from the 1930s until the 1960s. Serov also was the chairman of LOSKh (Union of Soviet Artists) from 1941 to 1948 and the chairman of Orgkomitet SKh (Organizing Committee of Soviet Artists) from 1957 to 1960. He became a member of the Academy of Arts of the USSR in 1947 and was elected its vice-president and later its president from 1962 to 1968. Politically, Vladimir Serov was a devout communist party member. He served as a deputy of the Supreme Soviet of the RSFSR from 1958 until his death in 1968.
In the history of Soviet political posters, Nikolai Mikhailovich Kochergin is considered one of its pioneers. In 1918, Kochergin graduated from the Stroganov Central Industrial Art College where he later ventured into the professional world of graphic design. During the Russian Civil War, he supervised a poster publishing house and workshop in Kharkov, Ukraine. He was also one of the primary organizers of the Baku, Azerbaijan ROSTA (Russian Telegraph Agency) artist group that circulated posters throughout the Caucus region.
The 24th Lithography Workshop was located at Kronverkskaia and Mir Streets in St. Petersburg (Petrograd). Historically, the workshop had its roots in Imperial Russia and it was a large printing operation founded in 1881 by Theodore Kibbel (Fedor Fyodorovich Kibbel). Shortly after the printer was nationalized by the Soviets, it became the 1st State Lithography Workshop. In 1924, the workshop was named in honor of Mikhail Pavlovich Tomskii (1880-1936), head of the Soviet trade union and the head of the State Publishing House. During the early 1930s, the printer was reorganized as the 24th Lithography Workshop of Ogiz (Association of State Book and Magazine Publishers) and was placed under the management of the Poligrafkniga (Book and Magazine Printing) state printing trust.
The history of IzoGiz begins with the formation of Ogiz, the Association of the State Book and Magazine Publishers. In 1930, the Sovnarkom of the Russian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic established Ogiz to centralize publishing under a monopoly in order to eliminate duplication of printed material, to streamline and control publishing production and its output, and to create a base for marketing books, training and technical manuals. In 1931, the Central Committee of the USSR ordered certain publications be separated from Ogiz. The separation principally affected technical manuals and propaganda material issued by the publisher. For example, posters, art magazines and artistic books were placed under Izogiz (Izobrazitel'noe iskusstvo), the fine arts section of Ogiz. In 1963, Izogiz was merged with the publishing house, "Soviet Artist" (Sovetskii khudozhnik).