Konstantin Konstantinovich Ivanov initially received art instruction from his father, the noted graphic artist Konstantin L. Ivanov. Formal instruction began for Konstantin Konstantinovich as early as 1933 when he attended an art school in Leningrad. It was from that point that he dedicated his life to graphic design. During World War II, Ivanov worked on the front line while contributing to posters produced by the TASS (Telegraph Agency of the Soviet Union) Studios.
Veniamin Briskin studied at the Kharkov Institute of Fine Arts from 1921 to 1925. During his training, Briskin specialized in book illustration and poster design. Moving to Moscow in 1932, he worked for the satirical journal Krokodil [Crocodile] until 1933. In 1934, he began his life-long tenure at the Soviet newspaper Komsomolskaya Pravda [Komsomol Truth] and in 1956, he joined the artistic staff of the leading Soviet newspaper, Pravda [Truth], where he produced caricatures and illustrations. Briskin illustrated a myriad of books including, In America and My Universities by Maxim Gorky, as well as a compilation of short stories by Mark Twain. During World War II, he contributed to the poster production of TASS Windows. Throughout the 1950s, Briskin created posters covering a variety of foreign policy-related themes including the Korean War, NATO and the United Nations, while also creating posters demonizing capitalist values. In 1956, Briskin co-founded Agit-plakat with Soviet poster artist, Konstantin Ivanov. Agit-plakat posters were based on caricature and satire and they represented a post-Stalinist reincarnation of the ROSTA and TASS Windows collectives. In 1967, Briskin was awarded the title of an Honored Artist of the Russian Soviet Federated Socialist Republic. His works were featured in 1970 at Moscow art exhibition "Satire in the Struggle for Peace". At that exhibition, Briskin was awarded the Soviet Peace Fund Gold Medal. In addition to his book, Opyt raboty nad agit-plakatom [The Experience of Working on Agitational posters] (1959), he authored a myriad of articles on Soviet poster production.
The Leningrad Offset Printing Plant was located near Kronverkskaia and Mir Streets in Leningrad (St. Petersburg). Historically, the printer had roots in Imperial Russia as a large operation founded in 1881 by Theodore Kibbel (Fedor Fyodorovich Kibbel') until it was nationalized by the Soviets in 1917. After its initial nationalization, the printer's management (via a series of government-controlled printing trusts) and its name both changed over the decades until it ultimately became the Leningrad Offset Printing Plant in the spring of 1950.
The history of IzoGiz begins with the formation of Ogiz, the Association of the State Book and Magazine Publishers. In 1930, the Sovnarkom of the Russian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic established Ogiz to centralize publishing under a monopoly in order to eliminate duplication of printed material, to streamline and control publishing production and its output, and to create a base for marketing books, training and technical manuals. In 1931, the Central Committee of the USSR ordered certain publications be separated from Ogiz. The separation principally affected technical manuals and propaganda material issued by the publisher. For example, posters, art magazines and artistic books were placed under Izogiz (Izobrazitel'noe iskusstvo), the fine arts section of Ogiz. In 1963, Izogiz was merged with the publishing house, "Soviet Artist" (Sovetskii khudozhnik).