To the captives of and fighters against capital, ardent greetings from the workers of the U.S.S.R.

Poster Number: PP 726
Category: Workers
Media Size: 44.5x31
Poster Type: Lithograph
Publishing Date: c.1930
Technical Information on Poster: Order No. 407
Glavlit Directory Number: A-56452
Catalog Notes: PP 726 Workers
Artist: Viaz'menskii, Lev Peisakhovich — Вязьменский, Лев Пейсахович

Lev Viaz'menskii was born in the Vitebsk province of the Russian Empire in what is today the Republic of Belarus. In his young adulthood he traveled to Moscow to study at VKhUTEMAS-VkHUTEIN (All-Union Technical Arts Institute) where he was enrolled from 1923 to 1930. After graduation he worked in Moscow as a professional artist. While he created poster designs during his short-lived career, his main artistic skills were in painting and monumental art. He was a member of the artist cooperative AKhR (Association of Artists of the Revolution) and a member-founder of RAPKh (Russian Association of Proletarian Artists). During the late 1930s at the time of the Great Purge, Viaz'menskii was targeted for arrest by Soviet authorities. He was executed in 1938.

Read More...
Printer: Mospoligraf (Moscow Polygraphic), Moscow — Мосполиграф, Москва

Mospoligraf was a state-owned printing trust located in Moscow. When the Soviet Union formulated a plan in 1921 to consolidate the nation’s largest and best printing operators into state-owned trusts; Mospoligraf was organized in 1922 to carry out consolidation of the Moscow printing industry. With a staff of over two thousand, Mospoligraf was the second-largest printing trust organized in Moscow outside of the Mospechat’ trust, and it oversaw a myriad of houses under local printing sections such as the 2nd Chromolithography Workshop, the 5th Lithography Workshop, the 7th Typography Workshop and the 26th Lithography Workshop, to name a few. After a reorganization, the trust leased its operators. For example, two printers under Mospoligraf- the 1st Exemplary Print Shop and the 20th Print Shop (Krasnii Proletarii)-- were both leased to Gosizdat publishing. Throughout the history of the USSR, government trusts led the printing industry in terms of ownership, but efforts to consolidate the industry (as a whole) remained disjointed.

Read More...
Publisher: A.Kh.R. (Association of Artists of the Revolution) — А.Х.Р (Ассоциация Художников Революции)

The Association of Artists of the Revolution was an artist cooperative from 1928 to 1932. From 1922-1928 it was called the Association of Artists of Revolutionary Russia. During the 1920s, the Association rose to prominence in the Soviet art world. It opened branches throughout the USSR, and it operated its own publishing house in Moscow at 25 Tsvetnoi Boulevard. The Association was abolished in 1932 when the government centralized a majority of independent arts organizations in the USSR.

Read More...