Skip to content
The life of the literate.
There lived an illiterate peasant.
He did not read clever books.
Life led him nearly to tears,
Every day everything was a bad break! Every day he toiled for nothing,
Life carried him along, like a blind person! He could not read a page,
About how to plow his land.
And his labor brought
In very scanty crops!
[Partial translation]

The life of the literate. There lived an illiterate peasant. He did not read clever books. Life led him nearly to tears, Every day everything was a bad break! Every day he toiled for nothing, Life carried him along, like a blind person! He could not read a page, About how to plow his land. And his labor brought In very scanty crops! [Partial translation]

Poster Number: PP 915
Poster Notes:

[Bottom of poster]
Books: On market gardening and livestock raising; On raising swine, soil science, and on issues of agriculture.
Books can be obtained in the warehouses of the State Publishing House Petersburg [at] number 28
25th October Avenue. [In] Moscow-- 28 and 11 Sovetsksaia (Tverskaia) Street.

Media Size: 29.5x22.5
Poster Type: Lithograph
Publishing Date: 1920
Technical Information on Poster: Poster artwork is dated May 10, 1920
Catalog Notes: PP 915 Education & Literacy
Artist: Radakov, Aleksei Aleksandrovich — Радаков, Алексей Александрович
Printer: 15th State Typography Workshop, Petrograd [St. Petersburg] — 15-я Государственная типографская, Петроград
The 15th State Typography Workshop began its history as the lithographic partnership of Roman Golike and Artur Vil’borg from 1902 to 1918. It was located at 11 Zvenigorodskaia Street in Petrograd (St. Petersburg). After being nationalized shortly after the October Revolution, it became the 15th State Typogaphy. In 1922, the printer was placed in the State-controlled printing trust of Petropechat' and it was renamed in honor of Ivan Fedorov (c.1525-1583) who is often referred to as the fi...
Read More About This Printer
Publisher: State Publishing House, Peterburg [St. Petersburg, Russia] — Государственное издательство, петербург
The State Publishing House had its origins in Imperial Russia as the Royal Print Yard in St. Petersburg. The Soviets nationalized the print yard in 1917 and requisitioned its presses. Out of the requisitioning emerged the Publishing House of the Petrograd (St. Petersburg) Soviet formed in the winter of 1917 by the Literary and Publishing Department of People's Commissariat for Education.
Read More About This Publisher