Poster Plakat A Collection of Posters from the Soviet Union and its Satellite Nations

< Return to Publishers List


Department of Political Education of the Petrograd Military District, [St. Petersburg]

The Department of Political Education was called Glavpolitprosvet (Main Department for Political Education) in its shorted form. It was created in 1920 under the People's Commissariat of Education (Narkompros). Glavpolitprosvet was the umbrella institution that supervised political education and enlightenment. The Petrograd Military District was the designation given to the St. Petersburg area by the Imperial Military in 1914.

Read Full Description...

The Department of Political Education was called Glavpolitprosvet (Main Department for Political Education) in its shorted form. It was created in 1920 under the People's Commissariat of Education (Narkompros). Glavpolitprosvet was the umbrella institution that supervised political education and enlightenment. The Petrograd Military District was the designation given to the St. Petersburg area by the Imperial Military in 1914. The designation remained until March 1918 when it was changed to the Petrograd Red Army Military District, a precursor to the eleven Red Army Military Districts formed in May 1918.

Close Full Description

Sources & Citations

Smele, J. D. (2015). Historical Dictionary of the Russian Civil Wars. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
International, B. P. U. (2007). Russia air force handbook, Vol. 1 strategic information and weapon systems. Washington D.C.: Intl. Business Pubs. U.S.A., Russia
Erickson, J. (1981). The Russian Imperial/Soviet General Staff. College Station: Center for Strategic Technology. (date of March 19, 1918)
Soviet military review. (1977). Moscow: Krasnaya Zveda Pub. House. (P. 167)
Kozera, E. S.,Meisel, J. H. (1953). Materials for the study of the soviet system: State and party constitutions, laws, decrees, decisions and official statements of the leaders in translation. Michigan: George Wahr Publishing. (information on Petrograd Military Zone)