// СВБ // Союз воинствующих безбожников // Soiuz voinstvuiushchikh bezbozhnikov // League of Militant Godless
This entity was formed in Moscow in 1924 as the "Moscow Society of the Godless" (SVB). In 1929 the name was changed to the "League of Militant Godless". Among its goals were antireligious education and ensuring "genuine godlessness" was observed and propagated throughout the USSR. Copious antireligious propaganda were produced by the League via books, journals, pamphlets and posters. Their newspaper was Bezbozhnik (Godless). Membership peaked to over five million in 1931-32, a time when the League propagated the violent anti-clergy purges before World War II. SVB existed until the early 1940s when Stalin closed the operations to ease anti-religious activity by the Soviet Government in order to shift public attention to the war effort.