Poster Plakat A Collection of Posters from the Soviet Union and its Satellite Nations

< Return to Artist List

Ivanov, Konstantin Konstantinovich
Иванов Константин Константинович
Born Petrograd (St. Petersburg), 1921; died Moscow, 2003

Konstantin Ivanov received his first art instruction from his father, Konstantin L. Ivanov. In 1933, he attended an art school in Leningrad and this set him on a path to become a noted poster artist in the Soviet Union.  During World War II, he worked on the front line while contributing to the posters produced by the TASS Studio (Telegraph Agency of the Soviet Union).  In 1949, he began his professional participation in art exhibitions.  In 1956, Ivanov became one of the co-founders (along with Veniamin Briskin) of the post-Stalinist poster collective, Agit-plakat, an organization rooted in the tradition of ROSTA (Russian Telegraph Agency) and TASS Windows. Agit-plakat posters stood out for their political caricature and satirical texts.  Ivanov authored or co-authored a number of articles on the modification of Socialist Realist style of Soviet posters, although he did not advocate radical changes that would ensue in the 1960s. He was a part of the younger post-Stalinist generation of artists who promoted formal experiments by adopting more avant-garde elements of Polish poster artists. Ivanov won a myriad of prizes in international poster competitions, including a Gold Medal in Bologna, Italy (1968). Having been commissioned by Reklamfilm, Moskontsert and Soyuzgostsirk, respectively, Ivanov also produced a number of posters for film, theater and circus productions during his long career.


Sources & Citations

Konstantin Ivanov, "Pokazyvayut plakatisty Pribaltiki," Tvorchestvo, no. 5 (1979): 4-7.
Konstantin Ivanov, Agitplakat vsegda na peredovoi: K 20-letiyu osnovaniya odnoimennoi organizatsii Moskovskogo otdeleniya Soyuza khudozhnikov," Tvorchestvo, no. 3 (1977): 13-14.
Konstantin Ivanov, Ruben Surianinov, Mikhail Kheifits, Veter s moria: Karel'skii vpechatlenia (Moscow: Sovetskii khudozhnik 1965).