The Kukryniksy was an artistic collective formed by three cartoonists. The name was derived from the combined surnames of Mikhail Kupriianov, Porfirii Krylov, and Nikolai Sokolov. The chiefly satirical Illustrations of the Kukryniksy were widely published in Soviet newspapers and magazines starting in the 1930s. Between the summer of 1941 and the spring of 1945, the three artists were an integral part of the TASS Windows studio in Moscow, designing at least seventy-four posters for the studio during the war. In the post-war era, the Kukryniksy illustrated books and collaborated on paintings. For their work they were awarded the Stalin Prize five times (1942, 1947, 1949, 1950, and 1951), the Lenin Prize (1965), and the State Prize of the USSR (1975).
Mikhail Vasil'evich Kuprianov was part of the artistic collective, Kukryniksy. See kukryniksy.
Porfirii Nikitich Krylov was part of the artistic collective, Kukryniksy. See kukryniksy.
Nikolai Aleksandrovich Sokolov was part of the artistic collective, Kukryniksy. See kukryniksy.
Mospoligraf was a state-owned printing trust located in Moscow. In 1921, the Soviet Union formulated a plan to consolidate the nation’s largest and best printing operations into state-owned trusts and in 1922, Mospoligraf was organized to consolidate the Moscow printing industry. Mospoligraf was the second printing trust organized in Moscow outside of the Mospechat’ trust and it secured a myriad of printing houses under local printing sections such as the 2nd Chromolithography Workshop, the 5th Lithography Workshop, the 7th Typography Workshop and the 26th Lithography Workshop, to name a few. Mospoligraf incorporated over two thousand workers. When it was reorganized, it went on to lease to other operators. For example, two printers in the Mospoligraf trust-- the 1st Exemplary Print Shop and the 20th Print Shop (Krasnii Proletarii)-- were both leased to Gosizdat publishers. While government trusts led the printing industry in terms of ownership, efforts to consolidate the printing industry remained disjointed throughout the history of the USSR.
For backstory, please see the entries for State Publishing House, Moscow and State Publishing House.