Let’s unmask the role of the social-fascist predators who are agents of capitalism disguising their preparations for new wars and interventions!

Poster Number: PP 039
Category: Military
Poster Notes: Pulling the curtain are members of the Rot Front (Red Front) a German paramilitary organization associated with the Communist Party. The red flag above the uniformed men reads ‘Red Front’ while the curtain reads "2nd Communist International, Peace". Behind the curtain are a capitalist (with top hat) and two members of the Social Democratic Party of Germany.
Media Size: 44x31.5
Poster Type: Lithograph and Offset
Publishing Date: 1932
Editorial Information: Editor Rabinkin; Technical Editor Iakovlev
Technical Information on Poster: Izogiz No. 4889. I. 32. No. 820. Order No. 5794. Submitted for production August 8, 1932. Approved for printing August 1. Standard Format 73 x 104. Volume 1 sheet of paper. Price 75 kopeks; [Printed at] 16 Krasnoproletarskaia Street
Glavlit Directory Number: B-23470
Catalog Notes: PP 039 Military
Artist: Ganf (Iang), Iosif Abramovich — Ганф (Янг), Иосиф Абрамович

Iosif Abramovich Ganf was a graphic artist, poster designer and a commercial illustrator. He typically used the pseudonym “Iang” (Yang) from the Russian transliteration of the English word “young”. Iosif Ganf was the brother of the Soviet cartoonist Iulii Abramovich Ganf. Beginning in 1924, Iosif worked at the Moscow-based newspaper Pravda. He also held illustrator posts at the newspapers Izvestia and Rabochaia Gazeta. From 1927 to 1933, he illustrated political cartoons for the satirical magazines Krokodil and Smekhach. During the early 1930s, Ganf became a member of the Society of Revolutionary Poster Workers (ORRP). He began participating in exhibitions in 1932 including: the First All-Union Poster Exhibition ("A Poster in the Service of the Five-Year Plan") at the State Tretiakov Gallery, and "Along the Leninist Path: Ten Years Without Lenin" (1933-1934).

Read More...
Printer: Krasnii Proletarii (Red Proletarian), Moscow — Красный Пролетарий, Москва

The Krasnii Proletarii Workshop originated under the ownership of Ivan Kushnerev, a Russian entrepreneur who founded the Kushnerev & Company Printing Shop in 1869 in Moscow. When Kushnerev died in 1896, his printing operation was one of the largest in Imperial Russia. In 1919, the printer was nationalized by the Soviets and consigned to the Printing Section of the Moscow Economic Council (MSNKh). Around 1920, it was placed under the Poligrafkiniga (Book and Magazine Printing) Trust and was given the name 3rd State Typolithography Workshop. By 1921, it became the 20th State Typolithography Workshop, and later it was named the 3rd Krasnii Proletarii Book Printing Plant when its location (on Pimenovskaia Street) was changed to Krasnoproletarskaia (Red Proletarian) Street. In 1924, the 3rd Krasnii Proletarii was placed under the State Publishing House, Gosizdat. In the 1930s and into the 1950s; the printer served Partizdat / Gospolitizdat (State Publishing House of Political Literature), a foremost publisher of political literature and propaganda materials. The printer retained the Krasnii Proletarii moniker over the following decades even though its management varied under a series of state-owned trusts.

Read More...
Publisher: Ogiz-IzoGiz, Moscow-Leningrad — Огиз-Изогиз, Москва-Ленинград

Ogiz was the Association of the State Book and Magazine Publishers. Its main offices were located in Moscow and in Leningrad. The Sovnarkom of the Russian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic established Ogiz in 1930 to centralize publishing activities under a state monopoly in order to eliminate duplication of printed material, streamline and control publishing production and output, and to create a base for marketing books, training and technical manuals. In 1931, the Central Committee of the USSR ordered certain publications be separated from Ogiz. This principally affected technical manuals and propaganda material issued by the publisher. For example, posters, art magazines and artistic books were placed under Izogiz (Izobrazitel'noe iskusstvo), the fine arts section of Ogiz. In 1949, Ogiz was reorganized and merged into Glavpoligrafizdat, the Main Administration for Matters of the Polygraphic Industry, Publishing and Book Selling. In 1953, Glavpoligrafizdat was reorganized and renamed, Glavizdat. Thereafter, the publishing, printing and bookselling monopoly in the USSR was separated into three distinct divisions. In 1963, Izogiz was merged with the publishing house, "Soviet Artist" (Sovetskii khudozhnik).

Read More...