October 25, 1917 -- November 7, 1920 Farmer, you used to work for a landlord! Now the land belongs to the working people! All Power to the Soviets! [Partial translation]

Poster Number: PP 042
Category: Revolution
Media Size: 40.5x28
Poster Type: Lithograph
Publishing Date: 1920
Sources & Citation:

Urtminceva, M. G. (1997). Slovar' russkoi literatury. Niznii Novgorod: Tri Bogatyria.
Soviet Posters of the era of the Civil War 1918-1921 by B. S. Butnik-Siverskii (1960), page 151, poster 149; Russian Revolutionary Posters by V. Polonskii (1925), page 176, poster 696

Catalog Notes: PP 042 Revolution b
Artist: Mel'nikov, Dmitrii Ivanovich — Мельников, Дмитрий Иванович
Printer: 5th State Typolithography Workshop, Moscow (formerly Russian Partnership) — 5-я государственный типо-литография, (бывш. Русское товарищество)

Before nationalization, the 5th State Typolithography Workshop in Moscow was Russian Partnership Printing House on Krivoarbatskii (curved) lane. The 5th Lithography was placed under the Mosoblpoligraf printing trust. It is not to be confused with the 5th Typography Workshop that was also in Moscow during the same period. Krivoarbatskii Lane became Melnikov Lane (for architect Konstantin Melnikov who lived at number 10) and in 1936, it became Zhukov Street in honor of engineer Nikolai Zhkovskii who lived at house number 8. In 1991, the street reverted to Krivoarbatskii.

Read More...
Publisher: State Publishing House — Государственный издательство

The State Publishing House had its origins in Imperial Russia as the Royal Print Yard in St. Petersburg. The Soviets nationalized the print yard in 1917 and requisitioned its presses. From requisitioning emerged the Publishing House of the Petrograd Soviet, formed in the winter of 1917 by the Literary and Publishing Department of People's Commissariat for Education. As the Red Army controlled more provinces and cities in former Imperial Russia, the State Publishing House developed offices outside St. Petersburg. For example in May 1919, the All-Russian Central Executive Committee created the State Publishing House of the RSFSR (Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic) in Moscow. Publishing offices were later created elsewhere around Soviet Russia as well as in outlying republics.

Read More...