Of the noted Soviet poster artists of the photomontage and Socialist Realism aesthetics, Viktor Borisovich Koretskii stands out as one of the most iconic. Koretskii attended the Secondary Professional Art School in Moscow from 1921 to 1929. He began working as a professional graphic designer in 1931 and he immediately gained recognition in the Soviet Union. His professional break-through occurred while working for the major state publishing houses Iskusstvo and Ogiz-Izogiz. During this that period of his work, he concentrated on (and perfected) his technique of photomontage. However, the period of the early 1930s in the Soviet Union meant that Koretskii had to move away from his own avant-garde style of discontinuous photomontage in order to be more consistent with the Socialist Realist dogma dictated by the government. During the 1930s, Koretskii also worked as an artistic director and decorator for Nikolai Okhlopkov 's Realistic Theatre and for Yurii Zavadsky's theatre-studio. From 1939 to 1987, he was a member of the editorial board of the film advertising publishing house Reklamfilm.
Evgenii Vladimirovich Abezgus graduated from the Moscow State Art School. In 1961 he began his lifelong career in poster design by taking a position with Izogiz State Publishing. Additionally, he designed posters for "Soviet Artist", "Kolos", "Sanprosvet" and "Planet" publishing houses in the Soviet Union. In 1963 he was awarded a prize by the Union of Artists of the USSR at the Second All-Union Exhibition of the Poster. Throughout the 1970s, he created numerous political posters and partnered with the artist Semen Raev on a multitude of those works.
The Kalinin Poligrafkombinat was located at 5 Lenin Avenue (formerly Voroshilov Street) in Kalinin (now Tver), a city northwest of Moscow. Throughout its existence, the name of this printing plant changed depending on the various state-owned trusts that handled its management. During the mid-1950s into the 1970s, the plant was under the management of Glavpoligrafprom (Main Directorate of the Printing Industry). Poligrafkombinat is the portmanteau for the English word, printing plant.
Sovetskii Khudozhnik (Soviet Artist) was a publishing house that chiefly served the Artists’ Union of the USSR. The house was founded in Moscow in 1963 during a period of reorganization within the state publishing sector. Sovetskii Khudozhnik turned out albums, art reproductions, postcards and art books, catalogs, brochures and, posters. It also produced illustrated monographs on contemporary artists and collections. In the early 1990s, it was renamed Galart Publishing House.