Shock Worker, Laborer, Collective Farmer, Strengthen the Power of the Red Army. Go to Military Schools!

Poster Number: PP 1170
Category: Military
Media Size: 30x22
Poster Type: Lithograph
Publishing Date: 1931
Technical Information on Poster: Izogiz No. 1438; Order No. 157; R 36 No. 214; Prize 20 kopeks
Glavlit Directory Number: B-2765
Catalog Notes: PP 1170 Military c
Artist: Babichenko, Dmitrii Naumovich — Бабиченко, Дмитрий Наумович

Dmitrii Naumovich Babichenko was a Soviet animator, film director, screenwriter and, a graphic artist. From 1920 to 1923, he studied at the Academy of Plastic Arts in Kiev. Professionally, Babichenko worked as a newspaper illustrator and a poster designer, however the majority of his career was dedicated to film animation. After completing his military service in the early 1930s, Dmitrii Babichenko served as a production designer from 1932 to 1933 in the animation department of Soiuzkino, the USSR’s premier film studio. From 1933 to 1936, he worked in animation for Mezhrabpomfilm, a German-Soviet production company that produced the first sound film in the USSR. After 1936, Babichenko served as an animator at Soiuzmultfilm, an all-animation studio. At the aforementioned studios, he designed a multitude of film posters. From 1969 to ’75, he worked as an animation director and an artist for the Central Television Network of the USSR. Babichenko was a Member of the Union of Artists of the USSR.

Read More...
Artist: Kurdiashev — Кудряшев

Artist has not been identified but could be Vladimir Vladimirovich Kudryashev (1902-1944).

Read More...
Printer: Mosoblpoligraf (Moscow Regional Printers), Moscow —

Mosoblpoligraf was a regional, state-owned printing trust created in the mid-1920s during the period when the Soviet Union was consolidating its best and most productive printers. The 5th Lithography Workshop, 12th Lithography Workshop, 16th Lithography Workshop and the 26th Lithography Workshop were all Moscow-based printers under the Mosoblpoligraf banner.

Read More...
Publisher: Ogiz-IzoGiz, Moscow-Leningrad — Огиз-Изогиз, Москва-Ленинград

Ogiz was the Association of the State Book and Magazine Publishers. Its main offices were located in Moscow and in Leningrad. The Sovnarkom of the Russian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic established Ogiz in 1930 to centralize publishing activities under a state monopoly in order to eliminate duplication of printed material, streamline and control publishing production and output, and to create a base for marketing books, training and technical manuals. In 1931, the Central Committee of the USSR ordered certain publications be separated from Ogiz. This principally affected technical manuals and propaganda material issued by the publisher. For example, posters, art magazines and artistic books were placed under Izogiz (Izobrazitel'noe iskusstvo), the fine arts section of Ogiz. In 1949, Ogiz was reorganized and merged into Glavpoligrafizdat, the Main Administration for Matters of the Polygraphic Industry, Publishing and Book Selling. In 1953, Glavpoligrafizdat was reorganized and renamed, Glavizdat. Thereafter, the publishing, printing and bookselling monopoly in the USSR was separated into three distinct divisions. In 1963, Izogiz was merged with the publishing house, "Soviet Artist" (Sovetskii khudozhnik).

Read More...