From 1927 to 1930, Petr Gorbunov attended Vkhutein (Higher Artistic-Technical Institute), formerly the Imperial Academy of Arts. Gorbunov began to exhibit professionally in 1936 and created such paintings as Lenin's Speech at a Finnish Train Station (1934; Novosibirsk Painting Gallery) and Partisans (1945), among others throughout his career. In addition to historical paintings, Gorbunov also produced a number of portraits. He was active as a poster artist, authoring such posters as Let's Transform the War with Imperialism into Civil War! (1917) and Did You Contribute to the Reconstruction of Leningrad? (1945). Petr Gorbunov became a member of the Communist Party in 1917.
Historically, the 24th Lithography Workshop was owned by Fedor Kibbel' prior to Soviet nationalization. It was located at Kronverkskaia and Mir Streets in St. Petersburg (Petrograd). Shortly after the workshop was nationalized, it became the 1st State Lithography Workshop named in honor of Mikhail Pavlovich Tomskii (1880-1936), the head of the Soviet trade union and director of the State Publishing House. By the 1930s, this workshop became the 24th Lithography Workshop of Ogiz (Association of State Book and Magazine Publishers) and it was managed by the Poligrafkniga (Book and Magazine Printing) Trust.
Iskusstvo was the Art Publishing House (A.K.A. Visual Arts Publishing) that was created in 1936 from Ogiz-Izogiz (State Art and Literature Publishing House). It disseminated books and journals dealing with graphic design and the fine arts, and it issued numerous posters. Since the Iskusstvo banner was part of the State Printing Works in Leningrad (St. Petersburg) and Moscow, its two main offices were located in those two cities.