To the soviet people – the first builder of socialism. Glory!

Poster Number: PP 213
Category: Workers
Media Size: 36x26
Poster Type: Offset
Publishing Date: 1957
Editorial Information: Editor O. Legran; Technical Editor M. Gammer
Technical Information on Poster: [Approved] March 1, 1957; Publication No. 1-365; Volume 1 sheet of paper; Order No. 170; Price 1 ruble
Glavlit Directory Number: Sh-01789
Catalog Notes: PP 213 Workers
Artist: Ivanov, Viktor Semenovich — Иванов, Виктор Семёнович

Viktor Ivanov attended Moscow Secondary Professional Art School from 1926 to 1929. In 1928, he took classes at a studio of Dmitrii Kardovskii and, from 1929 to 1933, he continued his education at the Institute of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture affiliated with the Russian Academy of Arts in Leningrad. Viktor Ivanov began to work for the central publishing house Ogiz-Izogiz in 1931 where he achieved acclaim as a graphic designer with a concentration in poster development. Ivanov began to exhibit professionally in 1934.  He contributed to the TASS (Telegraph Agency of the Soviet Union) Studios between 1941 and 1943 and created approximately nineteen posters for that entity.

Read More...
Artist: Burova, Ol'ga Konstantinova — Бурова, Ольга Константиновна

Ol’ga Konstantinovna Burova was a Soviet graphic artist that chiefly worked in the field of poster design. Burova studied at the “Moscow Regional Art Pedagogical School of 1905” (MKhU) from 1935 to 1938.

Read More...
Printer: Leningrad Offset Printing Plant — Ленинградское Офсетная типография

The Leningrad Offset Printing Plant was located near Kronverkskaia and Mir Streets in Leningrad (St. Petersburg). Historically, the printer had roots in Imperial Russia as a large operation founded in 1881 by Theodore Kibbel (Fedor Fyodorovich Kibbel') until it was nationalized by the Soviets in 1917. After its initial nationalization, the printer's management (via a series of government-controlled printing trusts) and its name both changed over the decades until it ultimately became the Leningrad Offset Printing Plant in the spring of 1950.

Read More...
Publisher: IzoGiz (State Publishing House of Fine Art), Moscow — Изогиз (Государственное издательство изобразительного искусства), Москва

The history of IzoGiz begins with the formation of Ogiz, the Association of the State Book and Magazine Publishers. In 1930, the Sovnarkom of the Russian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic established Ogiz to centralize publishing under a monopoly in order to eliminate duplication of printed material, to streamline and control publishing production and its output, and to create a base for marketing books, training and technical manuals. In 1931, the Central Committee of the USSR ordered certain publications be separated from Ogiz. The separation principally affected technical manuals and propaganda material issued by the publisher. For example, posters, art magazines and artistic books were placed under Izogiz (Izobrazitel'noe iskusstvo), the fine arts section of Ogiz. In 1963, Izogiz was merged with the publishing house, "Soviet Artist" (Sovetskii khudozhnik).

Read More...