Mikhail Abramovich Gordon completed his training as an artist at the Moscow Architectural Institute in 1936. While in Moscow, he worked on exhibits at the All-Union Agricultural Exhibition (VSKhV), a forerunner to the All-Union Exhibition of National Economy (VDNKh). In addition, his work appeared as part of the Soviet exhibit at the 1937 Paris International Exposition. Returning to the Soviet Union at the end of the 1930s, Gordon prepared the Leningrad streets for the celebrations honoring the anniversary of the 1917 October Revolution. After World War II broke out in 1941, he published his first posters with political themes and after the war, he continued to work as a graphic artist.
The 24th Lithography Workshop was located at Kronverkskaia and Mir Streets in St. Petersburg (Petrograd). Historically, the workshop had its roots in Imperial Russia and it was a large printing operation founded in 1881 by Theodore Kibbel (Fedor Fyodorovich Kibbel). Shortly after the printer was nationalized by the Soviets, it became the 1st State Lithography Workshop. In 1924, the workshop was named in honor of Mikhail Pavlovich Tomskii (1880-1936), head of the Soviet trade union and the head of the State Publishing House. During the early 1930s, the printer was reorganized as the 24th Lithography Workshop of Ogiz (Association of State Book and Magazine Publishers) and was placed under the management of the Poligrafkniga (Book and Magazine Printing) state printing trust.
Iskusstvo was the Art Publishing House (A.K.A. Visual Arts Publishing) that was created in 1936 from Ogiz-Izogiz (State Art and Literature Publishing House). It disseminated books and journals dealing with graphic design and the fine arts, and it issued numerous posters. Since the Iskusstvo banner was part of the State Printing Works in Leningrad (St. Petersburg) and Moscow, its two main offices were located in those two cities.