Komsomol member, help children study and play well

Poster Number: PP 327
Category: Youth
Poster Notes: The Komsomol was the All-Union Leninist Young Communist League. It was first called the Russian Young Communist League (RKSM) but with the unification of the U.S.S.R., it was made an all-union organization and youth division of the All-Union Communist Party. Komsomol was the final tier of the three youth organizations in the U.S.S.R. Members were between the ages 14 to 28 and they joined after graduating from the Young Pioneers. Prior to being Pioneers, they graduated at age 9 from the Octobrists.
Media Size: 45x31
Poster Type: Lithograph and Offset
Publishing Date: 1937
Editorial Information: Editor I. Mikhal’skaia. Technical Editor Y. Strukov.
Technical Information on Poster: Izogiz No. 8697. Publication 34. Order No. 1131. Submitted for production January 7, 1937. Approved for printing April 15, 1937. Volume 1 sheet of paper. Price 80 kopeks.
Glavlit Directory Number: B-7095.
Catalog Notes: PP 327 Youth
Artist: Buev, Ivan Petrovich — Буев, Иван Петрович

Ivan Buev is chiefly known as a painter and a graphic artist and yet he also worked in the monumental and applied art fields. During the 1920s, he studied at VKhUTEIN (Higher State Artistic and Technical Institute), Moscow. In partnership with Boris Iordanskii, Buev worked on the Soviet pavilion for the International Exposition of Art and Technology in Modern Life in Paris (Paris Expo) held from 1936-1937.

Read More...
Printer: Krasnii Proletarii (Red Proletarian), Moscow —

The Krasnii Proletarii Workshop (A.K.A. 3rd Krasnii Proletarii Typography Workshop) was located at 16 Krasnoproletarskaia Street in Moscow. Around 1920 the printing workshop was placed under the management of the Poligrafkniga (Book and Magazine Printing) Trust. Historically, this printer was first under the ownership of the Russian entrepreneur Ivan Kushnerev who founded the Ivan Kushnerev & Company Printing Shop in 1869 in Moscow. When Kushnerev died in 1896 his company was one of the largest printers in Imperial Russia. The Kushnerev shop was nationalized by the Soviets in 1919 and consigned to the Printing Section of the Moscow Economic Council. It was then re-named the 3rd State Typolithography Workshop and, for a brief period, it was the 20th State Typolithography Workshop. It became the 3rd Krasnii Proletarii Book Printing Plant when its location (on Pimenovskaia Street) was re-named Krasnoproletarskaia (Red Proletarian) Street. The workshop retained the Krasnii Proletarii moniker while its management (via a series of state trusts) varied over the next fifty years.

Read More...
Publisher: Ogiz-IzoGiz, Moscow — Огиз-Изогиз, Москва

Ogiz (Ob"edinenie gosudarstvennykh knizhno-zhurnal'nykh izdatel'stv) is the Association of the State Book and Magazine Publishers. It was established in 1930 by the RSFSR Sovnarkom to centralize all publishing activities in the Soviet Union. Aside from centralization, Ogiz helped eliminate duplication of printed products. Posters, art magazines and artistic books were placed under the Izogiz (Izobrazitel'noe iskusstvo) fine arts section of Ogiz. In 1963, Izogiz was re-named Sovetskii khudozhnik, "Soviet Artist".

Read More...