Nikolai Nikolaevich Pomanskii received his art education at the Moscow Stroganov Institute of Art where he graduated in 1904. He also obtained artistic education at the workshops of Konstantin Alekseevich Korovin and Sergei Vasilievich Ivanov. Pomanskii studied at the School of Fine Arts in Paris and in 1908, returned to Russia and taught for four years in the towns of Vetluga and Kazan. In 1918, he participated in agitprop painting for the burgeoning Soviet Government and also participated in the exhibits of the Moscow Association of Artists and in the 1933 exhibition, "15 Years of the Red Army."
Historically, the 24th Lithography Workshop was owned by Fedor Kibbel' prior to Soviet nationalization. It was located at Kronverkskaia and Mir Streets in St. Petersburg (Petrograd). Shortly after the workshop was nationalized, it became the 1st State Lithography Workshop named in honor of Mikhail Pavlovich Tomskii (1880-1936), the head of the Soviet trade union and director of the State Publishing House. By the 1930s, this workshop became the 24th Lithography Workshop of Ogiz (Association of State Book and Magazine Publishers) and it was managed by the Poligrafkniga (Book and Magazine Printing) Trust.
Ogiz (Ob"edinenie gosudarstvennykh knizhno-zhurnal'nykh izdatel'stv) is the Association of the State Book and Magazine Publishers. It was established in 1930 by the RSFSR Sovnarkom to centralize all publishing activities in the Soviet Union. Aside from centralization, Ogiz helped eliminate duplication of printed products. Posters, art magazines and artistic books were placed under the Izogiz (Izobrazitel'noe iskusstvo) fine arts section of Ogiz. In 1963, Izogiz was re-named Sovetskii khudozhnik, "Soviet Artist".