The Fourteenth Anniversary of October. 1930

Poster Number: PP 475
Category: Revolution
Poster Notes: The red worker-soldier is pushing away fascism and war and holds what appears to be a Soviet STZ-KhTZ 15/30 tractor. A modified U.S. "International" model 10/20.
Media Size: 45x31.5
Poster Type: Lithograph
Publishing Date: 1930
Technical Information on Poster: Lithography Workshop No. 6954; [Printed at] 3 Mir Street
Catalog Notes: PP 475 Revolution b
Artist: A.Kh.R. (Association of Artists of the Revolution) — А.Х.Р (Ассоциация Художников Революции)

The Association of Artists of the Revolution was an artist cooperative from 1928 to 1932. From 1922-1928 it was called the Association of Artists of Revolutionary Russia. Its members tended to be traditional, figurative easel painters who rejected avant-garde representation in art. They preferred to depict revolutionary Russia through the work and lives of the nation's laborers, the peasantry, the Red Army, scenes of industrialization and events of the October Revolution. During the 1920s, the Association rose to prominence in the Soviet art world. It opened branches throughout the USSR. The Association was abolished in 1932 when the government centralized nearly all of the independent art organizations in the USSR.

Read More...
Printer: State Lithography Workshop named for M. Tomskii, Leningrad — Государственная литография им. М. Томского, Ленинград

The State Lithography Workshop named for M. Tomskii was located at Kronverkskaia and Mir Streets in Leningrad (Petrograd). The workshop was named in honor of Mikhail Pavlovich Tomskii (1880-1936), head of the Soviet trade union and the head of the State Publishing House. Historically, the large printing operation was founded in 1881 by Theodore Kibbel (Fedor Fyodorovich Kibbel). Shortly after the printer was nationalized by the Soviets, it became the 1st State Lithography Workshop, and in 1924 it was named in honor of Tomskii. Thereafter, it underwent a variety of name changes while being controlled by state-run printing trusts.

Read More...
Publisher: A.Kh.R. (Association of Artists of the Revolution) — А.Х.Р (Ассоциация Художников Революции)

The Association of Artists of the Revolution was an artist cooperative from 1928 to 1932. From 1922-1928 it was called the Association of Artists of Revolutionary Russia. During the 1920s, the Association rose to prominence in the Soviet art world. It opened branches throughout the USSR, and it operated its own publishing house in Moscow at 25 Tsvetnoi Boulevard. The Association was abolished in 1932 when the government centralized a majority of independent arts organizations in the USSR.

Read More...