Nina Vatolina began producing posters in late 1930s and she went to become one of the leading Soviet poster artists of all time. She was a graduate of the Ogiz Technical School for Arts and of the Moscow Art Institute (class of 1942). Vatolina additionally acquired illustration skills from the master poster designer Viktor Deni. In fact, Deni considered Vatolina one of his most talented students.
The Kalinin Poligrafkombinat was located at 5 Lenin Ave. (formerly Voroshilov Street) in Kalinin (now known as Tver), a city northwest of Moscow. Poligrafkombinat is the portmanteau word for "printing plant". Throughout its existence, the name of this printing plant changed depending on the various state-owned trusts that handled its management.
Izogiz was the fine arts section of Ogiz publishing. In 1963, Izogiz was re-named Sovetskii khudozhnik, "Soviet Artist".