Petr Golub' attended the Moscow Institute of Fine Arts and graduated in 1938. His final work there was a large painting executed in gouache, The Dance of the Collective Farm Workers. Upon graduation, he permanently settled in Moscow. In 1944, he began to professionally participate in exhibitions; the first of such took place in Orenburg. He worked mainly as a poster artist but contributed illustrations as well to the journal Ogonek [Flame] (1947-1948) and he also produced a number of portraits. He became a member of the Communist Party in 1943.
Until World War II, Latvia had thriving industries for publishing and printing. Between the Soviet annexation of Latvia in 1940 and the German occupation in 1941, the nation's position as a European publishing hub greatly changed. Latgosizdat was formed out of Lativa's largest publisher, Liesma (Flame). Around 1940, Liesma publishing was nationalized during the period of Soviet annexation and it became VAPP (Department of State Book Publishers and Polygraphic Enterprises)-- a state-run entity. From 1946-1964, VAPP was named Latgosizdat and in 1965, it was re-named Liesma. Serving as a branch of the state publisher, Liesma specialized in original literature, foreign authors, monographs, fine art and posters.