This printing house was at 11 Zvenigorodskaia Street and was named after Ivan Fedorov (c.1525-1583), historically referred to as the "first" Russian printer. Prior to nationalization, the Fedorov Workshop belonged to the St. Petersburg firm of Roman Golike and Artur Vilborg. It became the 15th State Typography Workshop when the Soviet government took over production just after the Russian Revolution and it subsequently became the 3rd Typography Workshop in later years.
The State Publishing House had its origins in Imperial Russia as the Royal Print Yard in St. Petersburg. After the Soviets nationalized the print yard in 1917, that action formed the Publishing House of the Petrograd Soviet directed by the Literary and Publishing Department of People's Commissariat for Education. In 1919, the publishing house became Petrogosizdat and in 1924, it was renamed Lengosizdat (A.K.A. Lengiz) when St. Petersburg changed to Leningrad in honor of Vladimir Lenin.