Lev Grigorievich Brodaty was a Soviet-based graphic artist and illustrator. In 1905 he studied in Vienna and continued his education at the Academy of Fine Arts (1906-1909). Brodaty reportedly took part in the Polish revolutionary movement. By 1917, he relocated to Soviet Russia where he lived in Petrograd (St. Petersburg) creating political cartoons for the Pravda (Truth) newspaper. In 1918, Brodaty helped organize one of the first Soviet satirical magazines "Red Devil" en tandem with his work in agitational art and political poster design. Along with the Soviet graphic artist Vladimir Lebedev, Brodaty is considered a pioneer of the Petrograd ROSTA Windows poster. In the 1920s, he illustrated for the Soviet weekly satirical magazines "Krasniy Voron" (Red Raven) and “Begemot” (hippopotamus), supplements to "Krasnaya Gazeta" (Red Gazette).
The 1st State Typo-lithography Workshop began as the Sharapov-Sytin Partnership in the era before the Russian Revolution. Ivan Dmitrievich Sytin (1851-1934) was the son of a peasant from the Kostroma region northeast of Moscow. In the 1860s, Sytin worked in Moscow as an apprentice and then as the manager for a printing shop owned by Peter Nikolaevich Sharapov. In 1879, Sytin opened his own printing shop in Moscow using a single press. By the start of the 20th century his shop (at Valovaia and Piatnitskaia streets) became the largest private printing company in tsarist Russia.
Litizdat (Literaturno-izdatel'skii otdel politicheskogo upravleniia RVSR) was established in June 1919 by order of the Department of the Political Directorate (PUR) of the Revolutionary Military Council of the Republic (RVSR). A formal decree approved its existence in October that year. Due to the hierarchy of Litizdat's formation, its title is often abbreviated as Litizdat PUR RVSR on publications it issued. As the main publishing arm for the Red Army and the Red Navy, Litizdat distributed a total of 7.5 million posters and postcards between 1919 and 1922. After the Russian Civil War, Litizdat PUR was dissolved and its functions were divided into a succession of state publishing entities. In 1921, the key functions of Litizdat were assigned to the Department of Military Literature (Litrevsor) and by 1924, Litrevsor gave-way to the State Military Publishing House (Gosudarstvennoe voennoe izdatel'stvo), Voenizdat-Voengiz.