The Civil Engineering Industry Requires Highly Qualified Personnel.

Poster Number: PP 697
Category: Workers
Poster Notes:

[Small red text, right side of poster]
VUZ
VTUZ
College
RABFAK
Courses
FABZAUCH
[Small black text, left side of poster]
Engineers
Technicians
Desiatniks (Leaders of 10-man squads)
Foremen

RABFAK (Workers' Faculty System) was a mentoring program for citizens that fostered a new class of working professionals with loyalty to the Bolsheviks and with technical skills to carry out industrial plans. FABZAUCH (Factory Apprentice School) functioned as a trade school alternative to higher education. While there are no direct English translations of the abbreviations VUZ and VTUZ, the former was the Higher Education Institution while the latter was the Higher Technical Educational Institution.
Media Size: 40x29
Poster Type: Lithograph
Publishing Date: 1930
Technical Information on Poster: Order A.Kh.R. No. P 2050; Price 27 kopeks
Glavlit Directory Number: A-3377
Sources & Citation: Fitzpatrick, S. (1979). Education and social mobility in the Soviet Union, 1921-1934. (Rabfak, Fabzauch, Vuz and Vtuz explained)
Catalog Notes: PP 697 Workers
Artist: Veideman, Karl Ianovich (Veidemanis, Kārlis) — Вейдеман, Карл Янович

Karl Ianovich Veideman was born Karlis Veidemanis in Latvia when that nation was part of the Russian Empire. In 1915 he graduated from the Riga Society (School) for Painters and Decorators whereby he made his way to Petrograd (St. Petersburg). In Petrograd he enrolled in the drawing school of OPKh (Society for the Encouragement of Artists) where he studied from 1915 to 1917.

Read More...
Printer: Mospoligraf (Moscow Polygraphic), Moscow —

Mospoligraf was a state-owned printing trust located in Moscow. In 1921, the Soviet Union formulated a plan to consolidate the nation’s largest and best printing operations into state-owned trusts and in 1922, Mospoligraf was organized to consolidate the Moscow printing industry. Mospoligraf was the second printing trust organized in Moscow outside of the Mospechat’ trust and it secured a myriad of printing houses under local printing sections such as the 2nd Chromolithography Workshop, the 5th Lithography Workshop, the 7th Typography Workshop and the 26th Lithography Workshop, to name a few. Mospoligraf incorporated over two thousand workers. When it was reorganized, it went on to lease to other operators. For example, two printers in the Mospoligraf trust-- the 1st Exemplary Print Shop and the 20th Print Shop (Krasnii Proletarii)-- were both leased to Gosizdat publishers. While government trusts led the printing industry in terms of ownership, efforts to consolidate the printing industry remained disjointed throughout the history of the USSR.

Read More...
Publisher: A.Kh.R. (Association of Artists of the Revolution) —

The Association of Artists of the Revolution was an artist cooperative from 1928 to 1932. From 1922-1928 it was called the Association of Artists of Revolutionary Russia.

Read More...