The Red Army is the faithful defender of October, the mainstay of the architecture of peace, the USSR.

Poster Number: PP 715
Category: Military
Poster Notes: This poster was printed in various languages and it was issued in a period of tension along the Russo-Chinese border following the creation of the Japanese Manchu State in Manchuria, China. The soldier in the background (of the three on the poster) is likely of Evenk (Tungus) or Manchu origin. Evenks are an indigenous people that lived along the Sino-Soviet border. [Text at lower left]: “We do not want an inch of foreign soil, but we will not give up an inch of our territory." -Stalin.
Media Size: 44x32
Poster Type: Lithograph and Offset
Publishing Date: 1932
Editorial Information: Editor E. Povolotskaia; Technical Editor Gusev
Technical Information on Poster: Izogiz No. 4982; I. 35; Submitted for production August 9, 1932; Approved for printing August 26, 1932; Order No. 5796; Standard format 73 x 104; Volume 1 sheet of paper; Price 60 kopeks
Glavlit Directory Number: B-252..[illegible]
Sources & Citation: Mercer and Middlesex Auction catalog: September 2011
Catalog Notes: PP 715 Military; Sister Poster PP 089
Artist: Liubimov — Любимов
Printer: Krasnii Proletarii (Red Proletarian), Moscow — Красный Пролетарий, Москва

The Krasnii Proletarii Workshop originated under the ownership of Ivan Kushnerev, a Russian entrepreneur who founded the Kushnerev & Company Printing Shop in 1869 in Moscow. When Kushnerev died in 1896, his printing operation was one of the largest in Imperial Russia. In 1919, the printer was nationalized by the Soviets and consigned to the Printing Section of the Moscow Economic Council (MSNKh). Around 1920, it was placed under the Poligrafkiniga (Book and Magazine Printing) Trust and was given the name 3rd State Typolithography Workshop. By 1921, it became the 20th State Typolithography Workshop, and later it was named the 3rd Krasnii Proletarii Book Printing Plant when its location (on Pimenovskaia Street) was changed to Krasnoproletarskaia (Red Proletarian) Street. In 1924, the 3rd Krasnii Proletarii was placed under the State Publishing House, Gosizdat. In the 1930s and into the 1950s; the printer served Partizdat / Gospolitizdat (State Publishing House of Political Literature), a foremost publisher of political literature and propaganda materials. The printer retained the Krasnii Proletarii moniker over the following decades even though its management varied under a series of state-owned trusts.

Read More...
Publisher: Ogiz-IzoGiz, Moscow-Leningrad — Огиз-Изогиз, Москва-Ленинград

Ogiz was the Association of the State Book and Magazine Publishers. Its main offices were located in Moscow and in Leningrad. The Sovnarkom of the Russian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic established Ogiz in 1930 to centralize publishing activities under a state monopoly in order to eliminate duplication of printed material, streamline and control publishing production and output, and to create a base for marketing books, training and technical manuals. In 1931, the Central Committee of the USSR ordered certain publications be separated from Ogiz. This principally affected technical manuals and propaganda material issued by the publisher. For example, posters, art magazines and artistic books were placed under Izogiz (Izobrazitel'noe iskusstvo), the fine arts section of Ogiz. In 1949, Ogiz was reorganized and merged into Glavpoligrafizdat, the Main Administration for Matters of the Polygraphic Industry, Publishing and Book Selling. In 1953, Glavpoligrafizdat was reorganized and renamed, Glavizdat. Thereafter, the publishing, printing and bookselling monopoly in the USSR was separated into three distinct divisions. In 1963, Izogiz was merged with the publishing house, "Soviet Artist" (Sovetskii khudozhnik).

Read More...