Why did the Civil War Start? [In the circle] From the first days of its existence the Soviet Republic has had to stand against the military forces of the White Army. [Partial translation]

Poster Number: PP 749
Category: Civil War
Poster Notes: The pistols illustrated are the Nagant M1895 series used by the Imperial Army and Soviet Red Army.

[On three arrows]
Capitalists, landlords, generals
[Left arrow]
Capitalists, landlords and generals could not stand against the existing power of workers and peasants who took away land, plants and factories from them.
[Right arrow]
Capitalists, landlords and generals started to create a military force from the Tsar’s officers, Kazaks and kulaks in order to seize power from the Soviets.

Media Size: 44x32
Poster Type: Lithograph
Publishing Date: c.1925
Editorial Information: [On the poster margin] "This series is recommended by Agitpropotdel of the Political Directorate of RKKA for political education, Lenin corners, military corners, workers’ clubs and houses of literacy."
Technical Information on Poster: Publication No. 17765
Glavlit Directory Number: 67961
Catalog Notes: PP 749 Civil War b
Artist: Artist Unknown — неизвестный художник

The artist's name on the poster is not indicated. By assigning Artist Unknown to a poster it also could mean the artist used a chop mark whereby no signature is seen thus rendering the artist's identity anonymous.

Read More...
Printer: Krasnii Proletarii (Red Proletarian), Moscow — Красный Пролетарий, Москва

The Krasnii Proletarii Workshop originated under the ownership of Ivan Kushnerev, a Russian entrepreneur who founded the Kushnerev & Company Printing Shop in 1869 in Moscow. When Kushnerev died in 1896, his printing operation was one of the largest in Imperial Russia. In 1919, the printer was nationalized by the Soviets and consigned to the Printing Section of the Moscow Economic Council (MSNKh). Around 1920, it was placed under the Poligrafkiniga (Book and Magazine Printing) Trust and was given the name 3rd State Typolithography Workshop. By 1921, it became the 20th State Typolithography Workshop, and later it was named the 3rd Krasnii Proletarii Book Printing Plant when its location (on Pimenovskaia Street) was changed to Krasnoproletarskaia (Red Proletarian) Street. In 1924, the 3rd Krasnii Proletarii was placed under the State Publishing House, Gosizdat. In the 1930s and into the 1950s; the printer served Partizdat / Gospolitizdat (State Publishing House of Political Literature), a foremost publisher of political literature and propaganda materials. The printer retained the Krasnii Proletarii moniker over the following decades even though its management varied under a series of state-owned trusts.

Read More...
Publisher: State Publishing House — Государственный издательство

The State Publishing House had its origins in Imperial Russia as the Royal Print Yard in St. Petersburg. The Soviets nationalized the print yard in 1917 and requisitioned its presses. From requisitioning emerged the Publishing House of the Petrograd Soviet that was formed in the winter of 1917 by the Literary and Publishing Department of People's Commissariat for Education. As the Red Army controlled more provinces and cities in former Imperial Russia, the State Publishing House developed additional offices outside St. Petersburg. For example in May 1919, the All-Russian Central Executive Committee created the State Publishing House of the RSFSR (Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic) in Moscow. Publishing offices were later created elsewhere around Soviet Russia as well as in the outlying republics. In 1919, the State Publishing House changed its name to Petrogosizdat, and in 1924, it was named Lengosizdat (A.K.A. Lengiz) when St. Petersburg changed to Leningrad in honor of Vladimir Lenin.

Read More...