Petr Golub' attended the Moscow Institute of Fine Arts and graduated in 1938. His final work there was a large painting executed in gouache, The Dance of the Collective Farm Workers. Upon graduation, he permanently settled in Moscow. In 1944, he began to professionally participate in exhibitions; the first of such took place in Orenburg. He worked mainly as a poster artist but contributed illustrations as well to the journal Ogonek [Flame] (1947-1948) and he also produced a number of portraits. He became a member of the Communist Party in 1943.
The Leningrad Offset Printing Plant was located near Kronverkskaia and Mir Streets in Leningrad (St. Petersburg). Historically, the printer had roots in Imperial Russia as a large operation founded in 1881 by Theodore Kibbel (Fedor Fyodorovich Kibbel') until it was nationalized by the Soviets in 1917. After its initial nationalization, the printer's management (via a series of government-controlled printing trusts) and its name both changed over the decades until it ultimately became the Leningrad Offset Printing Plant in the spring of 1950.
Iskusstvo was the Art Publishing House (A.K.A. Visual Arts Publishing) that was created in 1936 from Ogiz-Izogiz (State Art and Literature Publishing House). It disseminated books and journals dealing with graphic design and the fine arts, and it issued numerous posters. Since the Iskusstvo banner was part of the State Printing Works in Leningrad (St. Petersburg) and Moscow, its two main offices were located in those two cities.