Literate, Teach the Illiterate!

Poster Number: PP 924
Poster Notes: Poster is in Russian as well as in Tundra Nenets language spoken from western Siberia. The Nenets had no written language until 1932 when the Soviets established their Latin-based alphabet. The first Nenets spelling book, Jadəj wada [New Word], is held by the man illustrated on the poster. The poster was likely distributed by NIANIS, the research section of the Peoples of the North Institute, an organization that completed the Unified Northern Alphabet to serve as the basis for languages of other indigenous populations in the USSR.
Media Size: 32x24
Poster Type: Lithograph
Publishing Date: c. 1932
Editorial Information: Editor A. Barnov; Technical Editor F. Tarasov
Technical Information on Poster: [Printed at] 3 Mir Street
Catalog Notes: PP 924 Education & Literacy
Artist: Ksenofontov, Timofei Ivanovich — Ксенофонтов, Тимофей Тванович
Printer: 24th Lithography Workshop of the Poligrafkniga Trust of Ogiz, Leningrad — 24-я типография ОГИЗа РСФСР треста Полиграфкнига, Ленинград

The 24th Lithography Workshop was located at Kronverkskaia and Mir Streets in St. Petersburg (Petrograd). Historically, the workshop had its roots in Imperial Russia and it was a large printing operation founded in 1881 by Theodore Kibbel (Fedor Fyodorovich Kibbel). Shortly after the printer was nationalized by the Soviets, it became the 1st State Lithography Workshop. In 1924, the workshop was named in honor of Mikhail Pavlovich Tomskii (1880-1936), head of the Soviet trade union and the head of the State Publishing House. During the early 1930s, the printer was reorganized as the 24th Lithography Workshop of Ogiz (Association of State Book and Magazine Publishers) and was placed under the management of the Poligrafkniga (Book and Magazine Printing) state printing trust.

Read More...
Publisher: Ogiz-IzoGiz, Moscow-Leningrad — Огиз-Изогиз, Москва-Ленинград

Ogiz was the Association of the State Book and Magazine Publishers. Its main offices were located in Moscow and in Leningrad. The Sovnarkom of the Russian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic established Ogiz in 1930 to centralize publishing activities under a state monopoly in order to eliminate duplication of printed material, streamline and control publishing production and output, and to create a base for marketing books, training and technical manuals. In 1931, the Central Committee of the USSR ordered certain publications be separated from Ogiz. This principally affected technical manuals and propaganda material issued by the publisher. For example, posters, art magazines and artistic books were placed under Izogiz (Izobrazitel'noe iskusstvo), the fine arts section of Ogiz. In 1949, Ogiz was reorganized and merged into Glavpoligrafizdat, the Main Administration for Matters of the Polygraphic Industry, Publishing and Book Selling. In 1953, Glavpoligrafizdat was reorganized and renamed, Glavizdat. Thereafter, the publishing, printing and bookselling monopoly in the USSR was separated into three distinct divisions. In 1963, Izogiz was merged with the publishing house, "Soviet Artist" (Sovetskii khudozhnik).

Read More...