Nikolai Nikolaevich Zhukov was a graphic designer, cartoonist and artist. Zhukov studied primary art education at the Nizhny Novgorod Art and Industrial College. In 1928 he enrolled the A.P. Bogolyubov Saratov Art College and graduated in 1930. After serving in the military he moved back to Moscow around 1932. During the Second World War, he was the artistic director of the Odessa-based "Studio of Military Artists named for Mitrofan Borisovich Grekov". From 1941 to 1945 he worked on the front-line for the newspaper Pravda and worked in the editorial offices of an army newspaper on the Kalinin Front . During the war, Zhukov's illustrations appeared in the army newspaper "To Defeat the Enemy."
Sergei Matveevich Kovan'ko (1908–1949) worked in applied and industrial graphics for most of his career. He studied at the Architecture School of the Kharkov Art Institute in Ukraine. In the late 1920s and into the early 1930s, he illustrated Vsesvit (Universe) magazine in Kharkov and illustrated and designed books for the Young Guard publishing house, the Art publishing house and several other publications. Kovan'ko designed the Soviet section of the International Aviation Exhibition in Milan (1935). In 1949, a retrospective exhibition of his work was held in Moscow.
This printer was located in Moscow at 7 Stankevich Street. Gudok is the Russian word for whistle and this was also the name given to the railway industry newspaper in the Soviet Union.