Skip to content

To the Aid of Pans! [Polish landlords] The Last Reserves of Marshal Foch

Poster Number: PP 914
Category: Civil War
Poster Notes: The 'soldiers' hanging on the Marshal are racist caricatures, presumably troops recruited by the French during WWI in their African and Caribbean colonies. Marshal Ferdinand Foch was a French general who served as the Supreme Allied Commander during the First World War.
Media Size: 24.5x21
Poster Type: Lithograph
Publishing Date: 1920
Technical Information on Poster: At top of the poster: Russian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic; Proletarians of all countries, unite!
Catalog Notes: PP 914 Civil War c
Artist: Moor (Orlov), Dmitrii Stakhievich — Моор (Орлов), Дмитрий Стахиевич
Dmitrii Stakhievich Moor (birth surname Orlov) was born into the family of a mining engineer and did not receive formal artistic education. After moving to Moscow in 1898, and between 1902 and 1906, he actively participated in the city’s revolutionary movement, specifically taking part in the failed 1905 Revolution. While working at the Anatolii Mamontov printing shop, he submitted his drawings to periodicals. In 1908, he began to publish his cartoons in satirical journals, namely in Budil'nik [Alarm Clock]. Wh...
Read More About This Artist
Printer: 5th State Typolithography Workshop, Moscow (formerly Russian Partnership) — 5-я государственный типо-литография, (бывш. Русское товарищество)
Before nationalization, the 5th State Typolithography Workshop in Moscow was Russian Partnership Printing House on Krivoarbatskii (curved) lane. The 5th Lithography was placed under the Mosoblpoligraf printing trust. It is not to be confused with the 5th Typography Workshop that was also in Moscow during the same period. Krivoarbatskii Lane became Melnikov Lane (for architect Konstantin Melnikov who lived at number 10) and in 1936, it became Zhukov Street in honor of engineer Nikolai Zhkovskii who lived ...
Read More About This Printer
Publisher: State Publishing House — Государственный издательство
The State Publishing House had its origins in Imperial Russia as the Royal Print Yard in St. Petersburg. The Soviets nationalized the print yard in 1917 and requisitioned its presses. From requisitioning emerged the Publishing House of the Petrograd Soviet that was formed in the winter of 1917 by the Literary and Publishing Department of People's Commissariat for Education. As the Red Army controlled more provinces and cities in former Imperial Russia, the State Publishing House developed ...
Read More About This Publisher