1st Exemplary Gosizdat Typolithography Workshop, Moscow
The 1st Exemplary Gosizdat Typolithography Workshop was located in Moscow at 28 Valovaia Street. Prior to its nationalization, this printer was the Sharapov-Sytin Partnership. Ivan Dmitrievich Sytin (1851-1934) was the son of a peasant and he opened a small print shop in Moscow using a single press. By the start of the 20th century, Ivan Sytin's printing business (at Valovaia and Piatnitskaia streets) was the largest private printing company in tsarist Russia. Around 1918, the Bolsheviks nationalized his shop and also commandeered the Royal Print Yard. They transformed the Yard into Gosizdat (State Publishing House). The 1st State Typo-lithography then became the “1st Exemplary Printing Workshop" and it was a Gosizdat contract printer. In 1931, the 1st Exemplary Gosizdat Printing Workshop was placed under Ogiz, the state publishing entity.
After World War II, this printing workshop was re-named in honor of Andrei Zhdanov (the deceased Soviet political leader) and it was placed in the Glavpoligrafizdat Trust (Main Administration for Matters of Polygraphic Industry Publishing and Book Selling). The trust was formed in 1949 to oversee printing, publishing and the retail book trade in the USSR.