1st Exemplary Typography Workshop named for A. A. Zhdanov, Moscow
Prior to nationalization, the 1st Exemplary Typography Workshop was the Sharapov-Sytin Partnerhip. Ivan Dmitrievich Sytin (1851-1934) was the son of a peasant and he opened a small print shop in Moscow using a single press. By the start of the 20th century, Ivan Sytin's printing business (at Valovaia and Piatnitskaia streets) was the largest private printing company in tsarist Russia. Around 1918, the Bolsheviks nationalized his shop and also commandeered the Royal Print Yard.
After World War II, the 1st Exemplary Typography was named in honor of Andrei Alexandrovich Zhdanov (1896-1948), a deceased Soviet political leader. In the post-war period, three different printing trusts managed the 1st Exemplary Typography Workshop: Glavpoligrafprom (Main Directorate of the Printing Industry), Glavpoligrafizdat (Main Administration for Matters of Polygraphic Industry Publishing and Book Selling) created in 1949, and Soiuzpoligrafprom (All-Union Association of Printing Enterprises).