24th Lithography Workshop of Glavpoligrafizdat, Leningrad
In 1924, the 1st State Lithography Workshop in Leningrad was named in honor of Mikhail Pavlovich Tomskii (1880-1936), head of the Soviet trade union and the head of the State Publishing House. In the mid-1930s, this workshop became the 24th Lithography Workshop of Ogiz. The significance of Glavpoligrafizdat (Main Administration for Matters of Polygraphic Industry Publishing and Book Selling) came about in 1949 as a way to oversee printing, publishing and book selling in the USSR. As a result, OGIZ (the Association of State Book and Magazine Publishers), the entity that previously administered state publishing, was dissolved and Glavpoligrafizdat was put under the Council of Ministries of the USSR, the main executive agency of the nation from 1946 until 1991.
Historically, the printing workshop had been owned by Fedor Kibbel' prior to Soviet nationalization and was located at Kronverkskaia and Mir Streets in St. Petersburg (A.K.A. Petrograd).