3rd Krasnii Proletarii (Red Proletarian) Typography Workshop of Glavpoligrafizdat, Moscow
The 3rd Krasnii Proletarii Typography Workshop of Glavpoligrafizdat was located at 16 Krasnoproletarskaia Street in Moscow. Glavpoligrafizdat (Main Administration for Matters of Polygraphic Industry Publishing and Book Selling) was a state-owned trust created in 1949 to oversee printing, publishing and book selling in the USSR. As a result of its formation, Ogiz (Association of State Book and Magazine Publishers), the entity previously administering state publishing, was dissolved and the 3rd Krasnii Proletarii Typography became a contract printer for Glavpoligrafizdat.
Historically, the printing workshop of the 3rd Krasnii Proletarii Typography was originally owned by the Russian entrepreneur Ivan Kushnerev who founded the Ivan Kushnerev & Company Printing Shop in 1869 in Moscow. When Kushnerev died in 1896 his printing company was one of the largest in Imperial Russia. His print shop was nationalized by the Soviets in 1919 and it was consigned to the "Printing Section of the Moscow Economic Council". It was then re-named the 3rd State Typolithography Workshop and briefly, it was the 20th State Typolithography Workshop. It became the 3rd Krasnii Proletarii Book Printing Plant when its location (on Pimenovskaia Street) was re-named Krasnoproletarskaia (Red Proletarian) Street. This printing workshop retained the Krasnii Proletarii name over the next fifty years while its management (via a series of state trusts) varied over the decades.