Poster Plakat A Collection of Posters from the Soviet Union and its Satellite Nations

< Return to Printers List


3rd Krasnii Proletarii (Red Proletarian) Typography Workshop of Glavpoligrafprom, Moscow

The 3rd Krasnii Proletarii Typography Workshop of Glavpoligrafprom (Main Directorate of the Printing Industry) was located at 16 Krasnoproletarskaia Street in Moscow. Historically, the printer belonged to Russian entrepreneur Ivan Nikolaievich Kushnerev who founded the Kushnerev & Company Printing Shop in 1869 in Moscow. As business grew he brought-in partners and, when Kushnerev died in 1896, his printing firm was one of the largest in Imperial Russia.

Read Full Description...

The 3rd Krasnii Proletarii Typography Workshop of Glavpoligrafprom (Main Directorate of the Printing Industry) was located at 16 Krasnoproletarskaia Street in Moscow.

Historically, the printer belonged to Russian entrepreneur Ivan Nikolaievich Kushnerev who founded the Kushnerev & Company Printing Shop in 1869 in Moscow. As business grew he brought-in partners and, when Kushnerev died in 1896, his printing firm was one of the largest in Imperial Russia. The company was nationalized by the Soviets in 1919 and consigned to the Printing Section of the Moscow Economic Council (MSNKh). It was placed under the Poligrafkiniga (Book and Magazine Printing) Trust around 1920 and re-named the 3rd State Typolithography Workshop. By 1921, it was re-named the 20th State Typolithography Workshop and later became the 3rd Krasnii Proletarii Book Printing Plant when its location (on Pimenovskaia Street) was re-named Krasnoproletarskaia (Red Proletarian) Street. By late 1924, the 3rd Krasnii Proletarii Book Printing Plant was under the management of Gosizdat (State Publishing House). Krasnii Proletarii was a contract printer for Gospolitizdat (State Publishing House of Political Literature) the foremost publisher of political literature and propaganda material in the USSR. Gospolitizdat became "Partizdat" from the 1930s to the 1940s and then was re-named Politizdat in the 1960s.

Close Full Description