Poster Plakat A Collection of Posters from the Soviet Union and its Satellite Nations

< Return to Printers List


Lenizdat (Leningrad State Publishing) Typography Workshop

Lenizdat was chiefly a publishing entity for books, political literature, magazines, posters, brochures, postcards and newspapers. While it did operate a printing section later in its history, the publisher's origins were conceived in 1917 when it was formed as the publishing entity for the Petrograd Soviet and, its offices were located in the Smolny Institute of Petrograd (St. Petersburg).

Read Full Description...

Lenizdat was chiefly a publishing entity for books, political literature, magazines, posters, brochures, postcards and newspapers. While it did operate a printing section later in its history, the publisher's origins were conceived in 1917 when it was formed as the publishing entity for the Petrograd Soviet and, its offices were located in the Smolny Institute of Petrograd (St. Petersburg). In 1924, the publisher was accorded the abbreviated name Lengiz (Leningrad State Publishing House) when the Petrograd was named Leningrad, in honor of the deceased Vladimir Lenin. After 1925, Lengiz served as a quasi-independent publisher subordinate to Gosizdat (State Publishing House). By the mid-1920s, its offices were located on the Avenue of the 25th of October (today, Nevsky Prospect).

In 1930, the Lengiz name was changed to Lenoblizdat (Leningrad Regional Publishing) and it became the Leningrad base for Ogiz (Association of State Book and Magazine Publishers), the state publishing monopoly. In 1938 Lenoblizdat was reconstituted as Lenizdat-- the publishing arm of the Leningrad Regional Committee of the Communist Party. It had the distinction of printing the Leningrad edition of Pravda (Truth), the newspaper of the Communist Party in addition to an newspaper Evening Leningrad and, Film Week. During World War II, its printing section was named "Lenizdat No. 1 for Vladimir Volodarskii" to honor the Soviet politician assassinated in Petrograd (St. Petersburg) in 1918. From 1963 until 1992, the publisher/printer was located at 59 Fontanka River Embankment, St. Petersburg.

Close Full Description

Sources & Citations

Haupt, G., Marie, J.-J. (1974). Makers of the Russian Revolution: Biographies. London: George Allen & Unwin. (Volodarskii, p. 418).
Lapin, I. G., Veselova, K. N. (1973). Leningrad: kratkaya adresno-spravochnaya kniga. Leningrad. (printer information)
encspb.ru (St. Petersburg Encyclopedia)
polygraphicbook.narod.ru (Lenizdat history by A.N. Stefanov., M.K. Lemke)
citywalls.ru (59 Fontanka address history)