Chupiatov, Leonid Terent'evich
Чупятов, Леонид Терентьевич
Born Saint Petersburg, Russian Empire, 1890; died Leningrad, USSR, 1941/42
Leonid Chupiatov attended a drawing school affiliated with OPKh (Society for the Encouragement of the Arts) in Saint Petersburg from 1909 to 1910. He began to exhibit works publicly in 1916. After taking lessons in private studios, he attended SVOMAS (Free State Art Studios) of Kuz'ma Petrov-Vodkin, from 1918 to 1919. From 1921 to 1925, Chupiatov worked in the research department of VKhUTEMAS (Higher Art and Technical Studios) and was a member of various artistic collectives, namely Mir Iskusstva [World of Art] (1916-1918), Zhar-tsvet [Fiery Palette] (1924), Obshchina khudozhnikov [Artist Community] (1925-29) and, Obiedinenie sovremennykh khudozhnikov Ukrainy [Union of Contemporary Artists of Ukraine] (1928). From 1919 to 1933, Chupitov taught at pedagogical institutions in Novgorod, Kiev, and Leningrad. From 1933 to 1941, he worked as a theater artist and consultant for the State Bolshoi Dramatic Theater of Leningrad. Chupiatov died during World War II as a result of the German-led blockade of Leningrad. Some academic sources indicate his death date was in 1942. Chupitov's works are in the collections of the State Russian Museum in Saint Petersburg and in private collections.
Sources & Citations
Gallereia Art Kommintern: <artkomintern.ru/persons/chupyatov>