We learn so that Stalin says “Excellent, guys!” We are children of the plants and the arable land, and our road is a nuclear one. For our happy childhood, thank you mother country! --V. Gusev

Poster Number: PP 061
Category: Youth
Poster Notes: This poster is framed. A portion of text (attributed to the poet Viktor M. Gusev) comes from the 1935 “Song of Soviet Schoolchildren”. The lines of the song were later re-purposed as "Thank you comrade Stalin for our happy childhood!"
Media Size: 24x18
Poster Type: Offset
Publishing Date: 1939
Editorial Information: Editor A. Rachevskii. Technical Editor I. Kabanov.
Technical Information on Poster: Iskusstvo No. 4037, Index P-10. Approved for printing May 25, 1939. Submitted for printing May 31, 1939. Standard format 62 x 94 - ½ sheet of paper. Order No. 372. Price 40 kopeks.
Glavlit Directory Number: A-12176
Catalog Notes: PP 061 Youth (framed)
Artist: Eiges, Olga Viacheslavovna — Эйгес, Ольга Вячеславовна

Olga Eiges graduated from the Moscow Institute of Fine Arts in 1939 where she studied under the tutelage of Aleksandr Deineka, Lev Bruni, and Vladimir Favorskii. From 1941-1945, she produced posters dedicated to the themes popular during WWII. In addition to her political posters, Eiges created posters for the Moscow circus, including advertising designs for the Soviet touring circus abroad. She produced portraits of famous circus performers, as well as sketches of the audiences. She also authored a series of lithographs. Her works are in the collections of the Museum of the Nikulin Moscow Circus in Moscow, The Russian State Library in Moscow, and in private collections.

Read More...
Printer: Krasnii Proletarii (Red Proletarian), Moscow —

The Krasnii Proletarii Workshop (A.K.A. 3rd Krasnii Proletarii Typography Workshop) was located at 16 Krasnoproletarskaia Street in Moscow. Around 1920 the printing workshop was placed under the management of the Poligrafkniga (Book and Magazine Printing) Trust. Historically, this printer was first under the ownership of the Russian entrepreneur Ivan Kushnerev who founded the Ivan Kushnerev & Company Printing Shop in 1869 in Moscow. When Kushnerev died in 1896 his company was one of the largest printers in Imperial Russia. The Kushnerev shop was nationalized by the Soviets in 1919 and consigned to the Printing Section of the Moscow Economic Council. It was then re-named the 3rd State Typolithography Workshop and, for a brief period, it was the 20th State Typolithography Workshop. It became the 3rd Krasnii Proletarii Book Printing Plant when its location (on Pimenovskaia Street) was re-named Krasnoproletarskaia (Red Proletarian) Street. The workshop retained the Krasnii Proletarii moniker while its management (via a series of state trusts) varied over the next fifty years.

Read More...
Publisher: Iskusstvo (Art Publishing House), Moscow-Leningrad — Искусство, Москва-Ленинград

Iskusstvo was the Art Publishing House (A.K.A. Visual Arts Publishing) that was created in 1936 from Ogiz-Izogiz (State Art and Literature Publishing House). It disseminated books and journals dealing with graphic design and the fine arts, and it issued numerous posters. Since the Iskusstvo banner was part of the State Printing Works in Leningrad (St. Petersburg) and Moscow, its two main offices were located in those two cities.

Read More...