Long Live the Third Communist International!

Poster Number: PP 091
Category: Events
Poster Notes: Poster was likely created for the Third World Congress held in Moscow during the summer of 1921. On the flag it reads: Long Live The 3rd Communist International!, in English, German, Italian and French languages. On the publisher's key it reads "Knowledge is Power RSFSR".
Media Size: 35x29
Poster Type: Lithograph
Publishing Date: c.1921
Sources & Citation: Soviet Posters of the era of the Civil War 1918-1921 by B. S. Butnik-Siverskii (1960), page 173, poster 309; Russian Revolutionary Posters by V. Polonskii (1925), page 134, poster 165
Catalog Notes: PP 091 Events
Artist: Ivanov, Sergei Ivanovich — Иванов, Сергей Иванович
Printer: A.F. Marks Lithography Workshop — Типография Адольф Фёдорович Марксъ

The A.F. Marks'' Partnership Artistic Printing Office was located in St. Petersburg at 29 Izmailovskii Avenue. Founded in 1881 by the printer and publisher, Adolf Fedorovich Marks (1838-1904), the firm published the weekly journal Niva in addition to other literature. In 1916, Moscow publishing mogul Ivan Sytin purchased a controlling interest in its ownership. The Partnership was nationalized (in late 1920) and placed under Gosizdat, the state publisher. In 1922, the printer was placed under Petropechat', a state-owned trust created in the early 1920s to aid in the centralization of the printing industry. Thereafter, it became the 26th State Typography Workshop named for Evgenii Sokolov, a St. Petersburg-based printer and Russian Revolution participant who died while on a military assignment for the Red Army. By the late 1920s, the Communist International published their multilingual journal at the 26th State Typography.

Read More...
Publisher: State Publishing House, Peterburg [St. Petersburg, Russia] — Государственное издательство, петербург

The State Publishing House had its origins in Imperial Russia as the Royal Print Yard in St. Petersburg. The Soviets nationalized the print yard in 1917 and requisitioned its presses. Out of the requisitioning emerged the Publishing House of the Petrograd (St. Petersburg) Soviet formed in the winter of 1917 by the Literary and Publishing Department of People's Commissariat for Education.

Read More...