[Alexandr] Kolchak, [Nikolai] Iudenich, [Anton] Denikin, [Simon] Petliura [are] destroyed. Tighten all forces and chop-off the counter-revolution of the remaining head.

Poster Number: PP 1005
Category: Civil War
Poster Notes:

The "remaining head" on the poster is that of Peter Vrangel’ (baron and White Army general) represented as part of the trampled beast under the Red Army cavalryman. The hooves of the beast are marked with the names Kolchak, Iudenich, Denikin and, Petliura.
[Top right margin] Workers of the world, unite!

Poster Type: Lithograph
Publishing Date: c. 1920
Technical Information on Poster: 2545/2
Sources & Citation: Soviet Posters of the era of the Civil War 1918-1921 by B.S. Butnik-Siverskii (1960), page 210, poster 668.
Catalog Notes: PP 1005 Civil War c
Artist: Silkin, Boris Vasil’evich — Силкин, Борис Васильевич

Limited biographical information is available on Boris Vasil’evich Silkin. Most likely, he designed propaganda posters for the Bolsheviks for a limited period from 1919 to 1920. During this time, he joined the Kiev-based trade union Tvorchestvo (in existence in 1918), and into the 1920s he exhibited his work in Kiev. According to an unnamed Ukrainian magazine article, Silkin was “a very popular Kiev artist through [the] 1920s-1930s, who was active in the fields of poster designs and boo[k] illustration.” A lack biographical data on Silkin has led one of the premier Ukrainian Soviet-era art books 1917-1987 Mistetstvo narodzhene zhovtnem to label his posters Join the Red Cavalry and To the Ranks of the Red Army as having been designed by an "unknown artist". According to researchers at Mercer and Middlesex Auctions in New Jersey, Silkin worked primarily as a book illustrator after the Russian Civil War.

Read More...
Printer: 2nd Soviet Typography [Photo-Lithography] Workshop, Kiev —

The 2nd Soviet Typography Workshop was located at 4 Pushkin Street in Kiev, Ukraine. Over a period of management changes, this printer was also known as the Photo-Lithography Workshop as well as the Soviet Printing Office.

Read More...
Publisher: All-Ukrainian State Publishing House — Всеукраинское издательство (Всеукриздат)

All-Ukrainian State Publishing House (Vseukrizdat) was founded in 1919 as the State Publishing House of Ukraine and its formation was based upon a directive by the All-Ukrainian Central Executive Committee in 1920. The publishing house had branches in Kharkov, Kiev, Volyn', Poltava and other locations in Ukraine. In 1920, the publisher was renamed the All-Ukrainian State Publishing House and in 1922, it was renamed DVU (Derzhavne vydavnytstvo Ukrainy). DVU became the largest publisher in Soviet Ukraine and the second-largest publisher in the USSR. Its publication distribution was operated by Ukrknigotsentr" (Ukrainian Book Distributing Center) that collected books for the trade unions, factory reading rooms, collective farms, and district libraries.

Read More...