All-Ukrainian State Publishing House
All-Ukrainian State Publishing House (Vseukrizdat) was founded in 1919 as the State Publishing House of Ukraine. It formation was based upon a directive from the All-Ukrainian Central Executive Committee. In 1920, the publishing house was renamed All-Ukrainian State Publishing and it was again renamed DVU (Derzhavne vydavnytstvo Ukrainy) in 1922. DVU was the largest publisher in Soviet Ukraine and the second-largest publisher in the USSR. Its publication distribution center, Ukrknigotsentr" (Ukrainian Book Distributing Center), collected books for the trade unions, factory reading rooms, collective farms, and district libraries. It had a network of branches, bookstores, kiosks, and agencies. In August 1930, DVU was replaced by the United State Publishing Association of Ukraine (DVOU). In 1934, the DVOU was abolished when publishing and printing were completely centralized by the USSR.
Sources & Citations
Mudrak, M. M. (1986). The new generation and artistic modernism in the Ukraine. Ann Arbor Mich: UMI Research Press.
Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993), "All-Ukrainian State Publishing House".