What have you done for the front?

Poster Number: PP 127
Category: Civil War
Poster Notes: While this poster is from the Russian Civil War, the question of "what have you done" was replicated on Soviet posters from World War II.
Media Size: 32.5x21.5
Poster Type: Lithograph
Publishing Date: c.1920
Technical Information on Poster: No. 127; [printed at] Piatnitskoe Department, Moscow, 71 Piatnitskaia Street
Sources & Citation: Russian Revolutionary Posters by V. Polonskii (1925), page 140, poster 235
Catalog Notes: PP 127 Civil War
Artist: Artist Unknown — неизвестный художник

The artist's name on the poster is not indicated. By assigning Artist Unknown to a poster it also could mean the artist used a chop mark whereby no signature is seen thus rendering the artist's identity anonymous.

Read More...
Printer: 1st State Typo-lithography Workshop, Moscow (formerly Sytin) — 1-я Государственная типо-литография, Москва (до Сытина)

The 1st State Typo-lithography Workshop began as the Sharapov-Sytin Partnership in the era before the Russian Revolution. Ivan Dmitrievich Sytin (1851-1934) was the son of a peasant from the Kostroma region northeast of Moscow. In the 1860s, Sytin worked in Moscow as an apprentice and then as the manager for a printing shop owned by Peter Nikolaevich Sharapov. In 1879, Sytin opened his own printing shop in Moscow using a single press. By the start of the 20th century his shop (at Valovaia and Piatnitskaia streets) became the largest private printing company in tsarist Russia.

Read More...
Publisher: Litizdat (Literary and Publishing Department of the Political Directorate of the Revolutionary Military Council of the Republic) — Литиздат

Litizdat (Literaturno-izdatel'skii otdel politicheskogo upravleniia RVSR) was established in June 1919 by order of the Department of the Political Directorate (PUR) of the Revolutionary Military Council of the Republic (RVSR). A formal decree approved its existence in October that year. Due to the hierarchy of Litizdat's formation, its title is often abbreviated as Litizdat PUR RVSR on publications it issued. As the main publishing arm for the Red Army and the Red Navy, Litizdat distributed a total of 7.5 million posters and postcards between 1919 and 1922. After the Russian Civil War, Litizdat PUR was dissolved and its functions were divided into a succession of state publishing entities. In 1921, the key functions of Litizdat were assigned to the Department of Military Literature (Litrevsor) and by 1924, Litrevsor gave-way to the State Military Publishing House (Gosudarstvennoe voennoe izdatel'stvo), Voenizdat-Voengiz.

Read More...