Located in Moscow at 10 Shluzovaia Embankment, this printer was placed under the Moscow branch of the Poligrafkniga (Book and Magazine Printing) Trust in the 1920s. Printing trusts came about in 1921 when the Soviet government consolidated the best printing houses into state-owned trusts. The printing workshop was awarded with the Order of the Red Banner of Labor. The 17th Typo-lithography also served as a contract printer for the Scientific and Technical Publishing House of Energy Literature (Energoizdat) that was later re-named Gosenergoizdat.
Ogiz (Ob"edinenie gosudarstvennykh knizhno-zhurnal'nykh izdatel'stv) is the Association of the State Book and Magazine Publishers. It was established in 1930 by the RSFSR Sovnarkom to centralize all publishing activities in the Soviet Union. Aside from centralization, Ogiz helped eliminate duplication of printed products. Posters, art magazines and artistic books were placed under the Izogiz (Izobrazitel'noe iskusstvo) fine arts section of Ogiz. In 1963, Izogiz was re-named Sovetskii khudozhnik, "Soviet Artist".